Need to build an Arowana tank in my basement

Bryan Crownover

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Wisconsin
I have a baby Silver Aro of about 3 to 4 inches long and I want to get a solid plan out and begin stockpiling materials and gradually building to move him in when he grows more on me. I have plenty of space in the basement and I am thinking of doing it plywood and acrylic. Looking at my basement and thinking of arowana sizes and the potential for tankmates, I want to do dimensions of 96x40x30 to 120x40x36. Is the plywood a good idea or should I go 100% acrylic? I will also be building my own stand. I would appreciate any tips or material suggestions, I'm looking to learn and do it right the first time which is why I'm here.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Plywood is extremely economical compared to acrylic as far as I know and would probably be easier to move if needed. On the other hand acrylic can last an extremely long time

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Bryan Crownover

Bryan Crownover

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Wisconsin
Start searching craigslist for some used acrylic tanks. They can easily be repaired if needed. Try to go with at least a 36" wide.
I've been searching craigslist every week or so. I met a guy at a fish store who has a 8' long and 30" wide acrylic he'll sell me for 700 which I'll probably do but like you said I want to go 36 or more wide.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I've been searching craigslist every week or so. I met a guy at a fish store who has a 8' long and 30" wide acrylic he'll sell me for 700 which I'll probably do but like you said I want to go 36 or more wide.
I would snatch that for sure. That should last your aro for years, at least. Otherwise, $700 on that size tank is a great price.

Reactions: Bryan Crownover
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store