New 180G Build

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hello,
I am going to be rescaping and changing the fish around in my 180G tank (6x2x2ft with a 4ft sump). I am new to a planted tank so don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to it but I have extensive knowledge in regards to fish keeping.

The big part of it which I guess will affect other decisions is that of my stocking which I would like to include the following fish, some of which is already have growing out in a 4ft tank:
10 Geophagus Tapajos sp. Red Head (Currently around 2 inches max) (I may reduce the school as they grow out)
4-6 Keyhole Cichlids (Not 100% sure on numbers, I have 2 growing out with my Geophagus)
Dianema Catfish group OR a school of Corydoras (not sure of what species or numbers)
Either Peppermint Bristlenose catfish or Whiptail Catfish or possibly a mix of the two (not sure of what species or numbers)
Lemon Tetras (not sure on numbers)
If anyone has any suggestions on stocking that would be greatly appreciated. Do keep in mind I plan to keep it fish from South America.

The big part for me is that I would love to include the Geophagus in this tank. My concern though is them uprooting plants. I hope that I am able to make this work and create a heavily planted tank in the long run I have read you can put some small rocks/stones around the base of the plant until they get their root system well established.

My other question is that in regards to substrate. I would love to have some plants that require to be rooted in the substrate, as well as some to cover the driftwood (such as Anubias and mosses). Would the best course of action for substrate to be a soil layer and then a sand layer of the top of it for the Geophagus to sift through? Or would just a sand substrate with the addition of root tabs such as API Root Tabs or Seachem Flourish tabs be a better idea? I think that i plan to do a thicker layer of substrate towards the back of the tank and have a thinner layer at the front.
As well as what is a good liquid fertiliser to use? I have been recommend the Continuum Aquatics Flora Viv Grow. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing.
Considering I am new to plants I will be starting with some low tech easy to keep plants.

In terms of hardware on the tank, the tank has 2 Freshwater Radions over it, as well as a Ecotech MP40 for circulation which I can adjust the flow of, plus the return pump and a UV steriliser in the sump connected under the tank in the sump. I do not plan at this stage to run CO2 on the tank , but may later on.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
For the substrate I’d suggest soil and a layer of seachem fluorite. Hardier than sand and the geophagus will have a hard time with uprooting ur plants.

You can do a sand substrate and the plants should be fine. Make sure it’s a deep bed of sand. The geos can uproot ur plants with sand. Flourish tabs work well. Right now i use osmocote in gel capsules and it lasts way longer than the flourish tabs.

The fertilizer is fine to use. I’ve used seachem products. Now I’m dosing my own diy fertz. Cheaper in the long run. I dose about 2-3 per week.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
For the substrate I’d suggest soil and a layer of seachem fluorite. Hardier than sand and the geophagus will have a hard time with uprooting ur plants.

You can do a sand substrate and the plants should be fine. Make sure it’s a deep bed of sand. The geos can uproot ur plants with sand. Flourish tabs work well. Right now i use osmocote in gel capsules and it lasts way longer than the flourish tabs.

The fertilizer is fine to use. I’ve used seachem products. Now I’m dosing my own diy fertz. Cheaper in the long run. I dose about 2-3 per week.
I worry that the fluorite will be too sharp and large for the Geophagus to sift through and show their natural behaviour. How would a soil layer with a fine sand layer over the top go? Do you think they would still uproar the plants? Or a soil layer, with a fluorite layer over the top and then a fine sand?

I have placed some flourish tabs around my amazon sword in the fine sand substrate I currently have my Geophagus a few days ago, so I will see how that goes

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I worry that the fluorite will be too sharp and large for the Geophagus to sift through and show their natural behaviour. How would a soil layer with a fine sand layer over the top go? Do you think they would still uproar the plants? Or a soil layer, with a fluorite layer over the top and then a fine sand?

I have placed some flourish tabs around my amazon sword in the fine sand substrate I currently have my Geophagus a few days ago, so I will see how that goes
Soil with sand on top might work. Gotta try and see.

Reactions: stiker

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Soil with sand on top might work. Gotta try and see.
Perfect, thank you very much! Do you have a soil recommendation? I only know about the ada Amazonia or the caribsea eco complete. And how thick of a layer would you recommend? I’m guess it’s best to have a thick layer at the back and thinner at the front

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Perfect, thank you very much! Do you have a soil recommendation? I only know about the ada Amazonia or the caribsea eco complete. And how thick of a layer would you recommend? I’m guess it’s best to have a thick layer at the back and thinner at the front
You can use any soil. Ada Amazonia is usually recommended out of the brand names. 3inch layer or more of thickness.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I wouldnt put soil at all. Those goes will shift thru that substrate and it will mix. I would just do a deeper sand bed and maybe try ur luck with a few long rooted plants but stick to anubias, java fern, and moss on driftwood and rocks. It will fill out

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I wouldnt put soil at all. Those goes will shift thru that substrate and it will mix. I would just do a deeper sand bed and maybe try ur luck with a few long rooted plants but stick to anubias, java fern, and moss on driftwood and rocks. It will fill out
I actually ended up decided to not go with the soil and just for sand. I decided against it as I didn’t want the Geophagus to constantly dig up the dirt and create cloudy water. That and I also plan to put 4 Pseudohemiodon Lamina in the tank

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I actually ended up decided to not go with the soil and just for sand. I decided against it as I didn’t want the Geophagus to constantly dig up the dirt and create cloudy water. That and I also plan to put 4 Pseudohemiodon Lamina in the tank
I had the same problem as you with red heads in the past and also decided to do sand wasnt worth the hassle of dirt just in case

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I had the same problem as you with red heads in the past and also decided to do sand wasnt worth the hassle of dirt just in case
I’ll be removing the current stock in the 180G and changing around the substrate to sand, plus taking the driftwood out and gluing java moss and some other plants to it in two days time. Definitely think it’s best to avoid a possible headache.

Reactions: SandNukka15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store