New, 55 gallon filtration

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Ok so I recently picked up a 55 gallon starter bundle kit from from petsmart (topfin is the brand) I haven't set it up yet but I was wondering about filtration, I kinda want a sponge filter to go along with the included filter so what do u think? Should I upgrade the included filter and if so any suggestions?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Open to both, I would like my tank pushed up against a wall if possible though.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most commercial "filtration packages" sold with an "aquarium kit" assume you will be having a community tank with a bunch of small, community species, with something that tops out at mayb4 4"-5". (some small tetras, a few swordtails, and a small cichlid, or gourami or 2)
If you are going to go with any larger fish, doubling, tripling or quadrupling filtration is a great idea. The kind of filter is not important (they all do basically the same thing, although going too cheap is not a great idea), and its all about maintenance. Things like regularly cleaning the gunk out of your filters, keeping flow at a good clip, etc etc.
There is nothing magic about 1 filter over another .
I have had 55 gal tanks where the entire back panel is a line of HOB filters, and the tank worked very well, as long as I cleaned the mechanical media every couple days, and did plenty of water changes.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I would do sponge filters two rated at 60 gallons each. Thats it. Just do weekly water changes and you'll be fine. I was doing that until I started to feed 3 times a day to my grow outs and added a HOB so the poop can be collected from the bottom. Everyday I take out the poop and rinse the filter. I also have 3 sponge filters in there.

Anything less than 120 gallons I would do traditional sponge or a HOB. I bought some nice internal canister filters for cheap from petsmart and they do an amazing job.

Biggest thing is surface agitation. You don't get oxygen by the bubbles but rather breaking the surface of the water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Need?
You haven't said what fish you intend to keep, and species, size, and many other factors determine need. One size does not fit all.
10 or 15 neons in a 55 gal, a HOB is sufficient.
a few medium size cichlids <6" , you may need slight overkill.
Anything larger than 6" you'll need way overkill, and plenty of frequent water changes on top of overkill filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store