New, 55 gallon stocking help

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Hello I'm new to MFK so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong. I recently bought a 55 gallon aquarium and not sure what all I can have in it, I'm looking for a community type aquarium but would be open to single bigger fish suggestions. I was looking at gouramis and thinking one good size one would be good, electric blue ram also caught my attention. I'm a catfish guy at heart so was doing a lot of research and a stripped raphael seemed a good fit for a 55 or some corys. I think it would also be cool to have shrimp or crawfish too. And lastly I was looking at Denison barbs, pricy but very beautiful (was looking at tiger barbs but don't want anything possibly harming my other fish). So what do you think of my selection? Compatible and Farley bigginner? Not a big chichlid guy so those are kinda out of the question.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Rams are quite small and territorial but are good in communities. Raphael cats are not that active but i do not know that much about them. Denison barbs would work well but may make gourami feel insecure since they are kinda touch and go

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Any other decent size catfish that might work? Was also looking at eclipse and pictus. Saw a thread about a hoplo being good too.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Any other decent size catfish that might work? Was also looking at eclipse and pictus. Saw a thread about a hoplo being good too.
Hoplo could work

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
1 golden gourami, cherry barb , Cory cats, farlowellas, bumblebee cat, striped Raphael, albino longfin bushy nose pleco, 1 African butterflyfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store