New 75 gallon tank

NEWBIE2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2018
hi everyone I’m new to the hobby so I’m still figuring things out and I hope y’all could help me. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with an emperor Marineland filter. I have a green terror and a tiger Oscar both fairly small 4” each, and two plecos. I’m just wondering if I could add more to the tank was thinking clown loach / silver dollars but I don’t thing they will be compatible so I want to get your opinion. If you guys have another type of fish that will be compatible or if I should just leave it as that feel free to let me know. Thanks everyone

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
to small for silver dollars. the oscar or green terror could end up filling the tank and the two of them might have issues. i would go with a dozen tetras, Buenos Aries and/or Colombian with bristlenose plecos on bottom. also go with a can and a hob as well as a sponge in the corner

Reactions: NEWBIE2018

gregkarr09

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
Los Angeles, California
No the Oscar alone will need all that space but if you do add more you need to make sure you do frequent water changes at least 50 or 60% a week. Add a sponge filter in the corner and another HOB or just get a canister filter.

Reactions: NEWBIE2018

NEWBIE2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2018
No the Oscar alone will need all that space but if you do add more you need to make sure you do frequent water changes at least 50 or 60% a week. Add a sponge filter in the corner and another HOB or just get a canister filter.
So i can get more fish just need to do more water changes and a sponge filter in?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So i can get more fish just need to do more water changes and a sponge filter in?

Welcome aboard

Suggest not adding anymore fish and you still will have to do 50% or more water changes a week if you plan on having a healthy Oscar. Oscars are prone to Hole In the head disease if water isn't kept pristine.

NEWBIE2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2018
Welcome aboard

Suggest not adding anymore fish and you still will have to do 50% or more water changes a week if you plan on having a healthy Oscar. Oscars are prone to Hole In the head disease if water isn't kept pristine.
Ok sounds good thanks for the advice will keep it at that right now I have the two fish separated cause the green terror seems to be taking a nip at the Oscar every now and then. Should I keep the divider up for now and remove it after a few weeks or how do you go about with this?

gregkarr09

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
Los Angeles, California
The Oscar will get huge, so I wouldn't recommend anymore, but ill just say this i grew angelfish from eggs to full grown adults in a 55 gallon. There are 10 of them full grown with a lot of anubius plants and I mean a lot, along with 5 panda Corys. I have two large HOB filters and a sponge filter and everyone is doing good, except for some aggression issues. I do a 80% water change every week. I don't miss a week at all and the water quality is perfect. One of the main reasons the water stays right is because I have so many plants. Plants not only help with nitrate dilution but it also helps with aggression because once the fish cant see each other anymore they stop fighting. Hope this helps. Long story short the less fish you have the better for water quality and longevity for your fish. So if you are going to add more make sure to add plants and do big water changes every WEEK! (side note I will be removing about 5 angelfish because the older they get the more aggressive they become.)

gregkarr09

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Ok sounds good thanks for the advice will keep it at that right now I have the two fish separated cause the green terror seems to be taking a nip at the Oscar every now and then. Should I keep the divider up for now and remove it after a few weeks or how do you go about with this?
They are just establishing dominance. You won't be able to keep a healthy oscar in half of a 75 gallon for life. For a little while it will be fine but eventually you need to let them establish who is boss. (oscar will take care of that as he gets bigger) I had an oscar and yes they get Hole in the Head disease quite easily. They are hardy but I always tell people if you can't commit to once a week water changes don't keep fish. Any fish that is.

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
Its too crowded bro imean they will get quite large for your tank
hi everyone I’m new to the hobby so I’m still figuring things out and I hope y’all could help me. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with an emperor Marineland filter. I have a green terror and a tiger Oscar both fairly small 4” each, and two plecos. I’m just wondering if I could add more to the tank was thinking clown loach / silver dollars but I don’t thing they will be compatible so I want to get your opinion. If you guys have another type of fish that will be compatible or if I should just leave it as that feel free to let me know. Thanks everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store