New Asian Arowana

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
So did you find a solution to the arowana aggression problem yet? I would agree with Matteus Matteus on the 3 options. If you wanna keep all your current monsters, it'll be good they have a decent number of fishes to spread the aggression.

However, if all your predators don't take fish pellets, you have an extra option to control the growth rate of the silver dollars though.

Reactions: Matteus

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
So did you find a solution to the arowana aggression problem yet? I would agree with Matteus Matteus on the 3 options. If you wanna keep all your current monsters, it'll be good they have a decent number of fishes to spread the aggression.

However, if all your predators don't take fish pellets, you have an extra option to control the growth rate of the silver dollars though.
Nope. I managed to get the gar and bass on market prawns, both gobble the prawns down like beasts. The arowana is now trained on hikari floating pellets (don’t know why it ate pellets first instead of meats). However I can’t really do much about the aggression as shown in the pic, as my country has gone somewhat back into lockdown due to covid outbreak again, and advised not to go out resulting in me not being able to go aquariums and get silver dollars.

59B74A51-84EC-45E2-AA71-59411C08C359.jpeg

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
Well, if you didn't take any steps yet, the aggression is just going to get worse. And during lockdowns, salt comes in very handy as treatment for light injuries. Maybe if you don't think the lockdown will end anytime soon, it's good to try the divider option before the wounds get nasty.

Reactions: Matteus

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Well, if you didn't take any steps yet, the aggression is just going to get worse. And during lockdowns, salt comes in very handy as treatment for light injuries. Maybe if you don't think the lockdown will end anytime soon, it's good to try the divider option before the wounds get nasty.
Is aquarium salt harmful to rays? I have a small pup in the tank, and I’ve been told by the shop that aquarium salt is harmful to them and should NEVER be added if there are rays.

ik divider option is most suitable, but I’m kinda hesitant as I would like ample space for the fish to swim and grow in. I wouldn’t want any fish getting stunted.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Is aquarium salt harmful to rays? I have a small pup in the tank, and I’ve been told by the shop that aquarium salt is harmful to them and should NEVER be added if there are rays.

ik divider option is most suitable, but I’m kinda hesitant as I would like ample space for the fish to swim and grow in. I wouldn’t want any fish getting stunted.
Lol they won’t get stunted if the aro kills it so you dont have to worry about space then.

salt is fine for rays. Make sure it isn’t iodized. I use kosher salt. If you read the stickies in the ray section here it has lots of useful info including what meds are safe or not. It’s a bit old but most of the info is still useful

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia

To be honest, I'm not familiar with freshwater rays. Accidentally killed them while dozing medication for fishes and them. But I read salt is ok provided the salt are completely dissolved in water before adding them in.

Oh, maybe you misunderstood me. Yes, I have noted your tank divider free. The divider was recommended just so the aggression will be greatly reduced if not stopped whileyou ate in lockdown. Then after lockdown, you can go get your dither fishes.....Hope that helps..

Reactions: Matteus and Caveden

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
The reason your warned against salt is because just pouring it into the tank it could burn bottom dwelling fishes like corydoras wiskers and what not and considering how sensitive rays can be I understand the lfs' warning what I do (when I have to add salt) I mix it in some water and then add once dissolved or add it to the hob filter box

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store