New baby clown loach - Am I dealing with a sick loach?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well, a short peak at the skinny loach below. The colour change is significant from start of last meds 8 days ago and I think based on that improvement in a few weeks he'll look unrecognisable. He just ate bloodworms out of my hand alongside the oldest of the baby loaches who's is very unafraid of me and goes straight for my hand.

Reactions: tlindsey and smjack

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
He's been in the pond for 3 weeks now, so the video is from the pond. I treated the pond with the last med.
The water in the small tank is also clear but the glass was covered in green algae. I scraped the algae on the front glass since I moved out the fish :) That's a better look of it inside :)

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
I might have to deworm my loaches. 3 smallest ones is the first to eat. But they are bone thin. I have access to levamisole so I will try to medicate them 1 a week for 2 weeks. Then fenbendazole 1 a week for 2 weeks. That is all I give and I am hoping that the loaches will fatten up.

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
If they're eating and are still thin, chances are they've got worms or parasites.

Levamisole and fenbendazole treat similar things so not sure it will be a complete coverage of possibilities but I'd start with one and see how it goes. You've to be careful not to overdose the levamisole as it is not safe to overdose,There are reports of odd side effects on fish too, hence it was not my choice of med but having said that, it could be just fine, and it is definitely effective. It has also been used on clown loaches safely, if you follow the right dose. There's is a whole article on it on clownloaches.com

Fenbendazole is not dissolvable in water and is to be used only in food. It causes head standing in discus(when dosed in the water) so it is not as safe as flubendazole, though it has similar effect. It is another reason I didn't use it. If you can get your hands on flubendazole, I'd get that.

Praziquantel and flubendazole would be my choice, and was my choice in regards to the sickly loach, as these two pretty much cover majority of worms that affect aquarium fish, flat, round worms, and some parasites too. And both are very safe with any fish. Flubendazole kills snails but one doesn't have snails in a clown loach tank ;)

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
There is no flubendazole in the Philippines. I can go to a vet to ask for Praziquantel. But this is a regular dog vet. Praziquantel is expensive in fish shops but cheap in poultry shop. But i have to see it there

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
If you can't afford to buy the Kusuri, pm me your details and I'll buy it for you.
There is nothing worse than not being able to afford meds to cure the poor fish. I've had those moments in my life and I wouldn't wish it to anyone so don't be proud and let me know. Its not a problem for me.

Last edited:

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Thank you brother. They say fenbendazole is gentle and is used on shrimps. What say you. Btw I have to rely of ourselves. Thank you very much for the offer. If there's an emergency, I have to get supplies that are easy available in here. Hence already scouring in shops. From thomas labs, yes you mix it in pellets. I haven't worked out the details yet. We use grams but not English ounce lol. Have to convert it. Ps. Made a mistake. See 11 Indians.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Yes, I understand. If you can get meds faster, the better. However, let me know if you need the flubendazole. The offer stands if and when you need it.
Yes, fendbendazole does not kill shrimp or snails from what I know, unlike flubendazole, but it is to be used in feed, not in the water. I wouldn't have any idea unfortunately on dosage. Flubendazole however, is also safe with any fish, anything older than a week and it works for fish that have stopped eating too, as it does dissolve in water.
It is very likely though, despite my recommendations, that either fenbendazole/levamisole(whichever you can get your hands on) or/and prazi will work for your skinny loaches. You'll just have to see which.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store