New bass won’t eat

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
So I’ve got 4 3” Azul in a 600gallon island tank I’ve only had them 3 days but they won’t even look at food they were pellet trained before I acquired them. How many days of not eating before I offer feeders? Other people from the same order who got smaller bass are already eating the only difference is there in 55gallon tanks. Water parameters are temp 84f ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates are around 10-20ppm I’m considering a water change to see if it jump starts them but I also don’t want to create excess stress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
If it were me I would move them to a smaller tank get them to at least 8-10” then put them in the 600 gallon tank. 40 gallon breeder to a 75 gallon then to the 600 gallon

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I think I’m going to have to hunt a smaller tank down I got rid of all my little ones. I only thought feeders at this size they may literally starve. At 250 a fish here in oz there expensive to let starve.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I think I’m going to have to hunt a smaller tank down I got rid of all my little ones. I only thought feeders at this size they may literally starve. At 250 a fish here in oz there expensive to let starve.
Holy crap!!!! I did not know Pbass so expensive in Australia! I would starve them for at least a week or two then try again with Pellets

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Holy crap!!!! I did not know Pbass so expensive in Australia! I would starve them for at least a week or two then try again with Pellets
Also consider some teacher fish. Maybe some SD to help them learn how to see pellets as food.

Reactions: Matteus and Rhyno8

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Yeah there not cheap Azul are rare as too finally got some so really want them to do well. I’m gonna grab some dithers tomorrow and some more plants. That one time a tanks possibly too big go figure ?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
When I got my 4” Kels they were pellet trained. NOT!
I had to feed them frozen bloodworms.
Eventually got them on fd krill and Hikari sticks.
When I got them they didn’t eat for almost 2 weeks.
Finally started eating the bloodworms.
Agree that having other fish in tank helps.

Reactions: dr exum and Rhyno8

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Yeah there not cheap Azul are rare as too finally got some so really want them to do well. I’m gonna grab some dithers tomorrow and some more plants. That one time a tanks possibly too big go figure ?
Haha! That’s not a bad problem at all. Man I feel for you bro. Azuls here run $15-$50 depending on the season. How long have your tank been running/cycled? IMO and IME all my fishes have a better appetite after I do a W/C, the bigger the better. Straight out the hose, cold water and everything. I’d personally add SD (Silver Dollars) they, are aggressive eaters and shiny. They draw the Pbass attention, yet too big to be consumed. Also one of my favorite common fish that schools and hardy af.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Have you tried the typical frozen foods? Brine shrimp, mysis, blood worms? Also you can try bait worms. Maybe even chop them up if too big.

+1 for a grow out tank tho.

Reactions: dr exum and Rhyno8
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store