New blue eye cochliodon

Blueyep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Hello! Sorry if this is in the wrong area. But i recently acquired a fish older then me the blue eyed panaque cochliodon named Harvey. Before I acquired him he had been tanked with a large giraffe cat that he grew to dislike and killed it. In the process he lost alot of his barbs he looks to be doing amazing now munching on plenty of wood and algie! I'm having a pretty hard time finding as much reference as I would like for his care so I was hoping someone could throw some pointers my way in recreating his natural environment as much as I can! I also had some general question about the breed such as how long they live (was told a crazy long time) and was wondering what smaller fish with the same water parameters anyone has kept with them successfully in the past. Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post!

Reactions: exodus1500

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Hello! Sorry if this is in the wrong area. But i recently acquired a fish older then me the blue eyed panaque cochliodon named Harvey. Before I acquired him he had been tanked with a large giraffe cat that he grew to dislike and killed it. In the process he lost alot of his barbs he looks to be doing amazing now munching on plenty of wood and algie! I'm having a pretty hard time finding as much reference as I would like for his care so I was hoping someone could throw some pointers my way in recreating his natural environment as much as I can! I also had some general question about the breed such as how long they live (was told a crazy long time) and was wondering what smaller fish with the same water parameters anyone has kept with them successfully in the past. Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post!
Are you sure it's a Blue eye? They can cost thousands of dollars. In fact they are the most expensive pleco out there. It's not something you get without having info on first.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

Blueyep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
He gave me a pretty heavy rundown on his care the last few weeks before I took him such as feeding and water parameters and I think he is here's some pics I have I'll take more when I get home from work

20170901_130404.jpg

20170901_145320.jpg

20170901_145542.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

Blueyep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Thank you! He has been awesome to observe he's super active when I have my lights on moonlight setting he's about 15 inches and his previous owner said he's about 25 years old

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I maybe wrong but I thought that 25 years ago they were not imported because of conflict in the area in columbia they are from also planet catfish says they max at 11.8" granted thats standard length(not including tail fin)

Blueyep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Including the tail he's about 15 inches and yeah that's what I read as well for the import but on this guy I noticed the spoon Shaped teeth so I'm hoping someone with more experience then me can identify him.

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
About 25 years ago, that started to stop importing them because of the drug conflict, and occasionally some are seen now. I remember in the early 90's that they were very common, and cheaper than royal plecos.

Blueyep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Here's a little more of him it's hard to get to many pics of him because he just likes to walk along the bottom

20170906_110541.jpg

20170906_103415.jpg

20170903_014802.jpg

20170906_110552.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store