New Eheim Reeflex UV500: blown out after just 10 days, beware!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
This was my first UV sterilizer to ever install on a tank, so I thought I wouldn't mess around and get a good name with a reputation for quality. So I bought the Eheim Reeflex UV500.

Eheim Reeflex UV500 small.jpg

While thousands of fish keepers use their canister filters based on their overall dependability, sadly the same cannot be said of their UV sterilizers in my personal experience.

Main reason for getting the unit was protection from bacterial/viral pathogens and the like, as algae and water clarity weren't issues. So I was running the unit at the manufacturer's suggested flow rate of 400 l/hr (108 g/hr) -- they recommend 800 l/hr for algae control.

But after 10 days (and running about 20 hr. a day, not 24/7) I noticed the lamp had went out (it's rated for about 8,000 hr). I'm not sure but it could have been out for a day or two. I pulled the lamp out and it was clearly blown.
Eheim blown bulb smaller.jpg

I contacted the shop I bought it from and they kindly agreed to send me a replacement lamp (and I bought a 2nd one as back-up).

Neither light worked, which of course means the unit itself blew out -- very disappointing for any unit, let alone a $160 one.

I sent several emails to Eheim's Customer Service in Germany regarding the issue -- other than a "We'll get back to you" response, I haven't heard a word back since, despite my follow-ups -- totally lame for a company of their supposed reputation.

Besides chance of losing your hard-earned mullah, I would beware of this product: when I pulled out the original lamp there was some grey sludge coming out of the base of the lamp and going into the connecting area and water flow.
Eheim blown bulb residue smaller.jpg

I don't know what that sludge was, nor if other UV sterilizers get the same, but I can't see it being healthy for fish -- if my Kamfa starts growing a 2nd kok lol I'll be lawerying up with Erin Bockovich's attorney.

Could have just been bad luck, but esp. given total lack of customer service from Eheim Corp. HQ I simply can't trust their products and would never buy nor recommend another.

Reactions: J. H.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Oops, miscalculated on dollar conversion, that's about $200 down the drain (plus about $30 for the back-up bulb). Guess, I should have just bought a Chinese-made Atman for half the price.

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
Yup I just went with a 109$ stainless 55watt Jabeo high output unit... in hopes that the higher quantity produced units vs more specialty and much higher priced yield potentially better quality or at least a much lower price point at similar quality. Who knows though...

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yup I just went with a 109$ stainless 55watt Jabeo high output unit... in hopes that the higher quantity produced units vs more specialty and much higher priced yield potentially better quality or at least a much lower price point at similar quality. Who knows though...
What size tank is that 55 watt Jabeo going on? Any leaking or other issues? I'm probably going with only about 11w for my 88g -- with a low flow rate due to it'll be inline with a nitrate reactor I'm also going to get while up at Chatuchak Market in Bangkok soon.

Despite being one of the world's largest aquarium fish markets I'd be surprised if (besides the Eheim) I can find anything else except Sunsun, Jebao and other Chinese brands there. Of these I'll probably buy an Atman -- they're a bit more expensive but they use Creator lamps which from my understanding are pretty decent quality. If anyone has used Atman UV sterilizers, any feedback good or bad would be welcome.

Atman UVC Sterilizer 11w.jpg

h-aquarium-pond-uv-sterilizer-lamp-fish-tank-filter-ultraviolet-clarifier-light.jpg

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
What size tank is that 55 watt Jabeo going on? Any leaking or other issues? I'm probably going with only about 11w for my 88g -- with a low flow rate due to it'll be inline with a nitrate reactor I'm also going to get while up at Chatuchak Market in Bangkok soon.

View attachment 1322807

View attachment 1322809

Going on a 300 gal display with a 90 gal sump... below is the unit... also I bought another 55w bulb as there were a lot of 55w bulb options I found that fit that pin and watt config.

Look at this on eBay
Jebao STU-55 Stainless Steel UVC Clarifier 55-watt for Fish pond Water Fountain

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Going on a 300 gal display with a 90 gal sump... below is the unit... also I bought another 55w bulb as there were a lot of 55w bulb options I found that fit that pin and watt config.

Look at this on eBay
Jebao STU-55 Stainless Steel UVC Clarifier 55-watt for Fish pond Water Fountain
Nice, like that stainless steel -- don't think those are as easily available here but will keep an eye out when in Bangkok; unfortunately using Ebay & Amazon are a hassle from Thailand, not to mention big shipping costs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store