New FH ☺

cichlid.aus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hi everyone, just thought id share some pics of the new FH I got yesterday. Was labelled as a "king cherry". Anyone able to sex it for me? Thanks ☺Snapchat-1138276076.jpg Snapchat-1316896046.jpg Snapchat-748417032.jpg Snapchat-1424166748.jpg

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Male gets my vote. Just due to the start of a kok at such a small size and fin shape
A kok or fin shape is not an indicator of a male. Females can have long pointed dorsal fins and big koks as well. Keep in mind that our beloved flowerhorns are hybrids, so sometimes a typical method used to determine the gender is wrong. My bet is the the fish pictured above is a female. No double flower or plum line, which can create a situation where males appear to be females, and yet we see a black spot on the dorsal fin. This flowerhorn appears to be a female.

Reactions: cichlid.aus

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
A kok or fin shape is not an indicator of a male. Females can have long pointed dorsal fins and big koks as well. Keep in mind that our beloved flowerhorns are hybrids, so sometimes a typical method used to determine the gender is wrong. My bet is the the fish pictured above is a female. No double flower or plum line, which can create a situation where males appear to be females, and yet we see a black spot on the dorsal fin. This flowerhorn appears to be a female.
The dorsal spot with a pearl ring around it. Not a typical dorsal spot like any female i have seen. Quoting me, and basically saying my guess is wrong about the body shape and kok, when that spot is just as much a shot in the dark..

Reactions: cichlid.aus

cichlid.aus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for your input guys. I guess ill have to wait until it gets older to be 100% certain about its sex

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store