New FH - not sure sick or stress ???

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
You only clean your filter every 2-4 weeks any with aquarium. You would not would want to risk hurting your population of bacteria in your aquarium. beneficial Bacteria is essential to running an aquarium. I would never wash the biological media just the sponges.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Just did the test tonight.
The result as following.
Nitrate 20 mg/L
Nitrite 1.0
Total Hardness 75
Chlorine 1.0
Total Alkalinity 0
pH 6.8

I think this should be on the safe side no? Any idea?
If it was on the safe side your fish would not be so stressed. The most important thing for new fishkeepers is to make sure your tank is fully cycled. The most common cause of fish death for begginers is an uncycled aquarium. Nitrate and Ammonia should be zero. Nitrate should be very low.

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
your tank is 100% not cycled. read up on the nitrogen cycle asap.
Doing it now. Just on the note what is the best or ideal parameter? Is it All ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are 0?

Ask your local fish store or a friend if you can borrow any cycled media. I feel like that is one of few options. In the future research more on fish before you get one.
I am not sure to have any friend that I can borrow but I will do more research. Thanks

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
If it was on the safe side your fish would not be so stressed. The most important thing for new fishkeepers is to make sure your tank is fully cycled. The most common cause of fish death for begginers is an uncycled aquarium. Nitrate and Ammonia should be zero. Nitrate should be very low.
Thanks for the tips.

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 11.23.18 PM.png

Went to the pet store before closed and then get this. Put on the filtration system, finger-crossed and hopefully this will be helpful.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Helpful yes, but the answer no.

you need something like bacteria in a bottle or someone else cycled media.

Use prime dechlorination, it helps by binding the ammonia.

You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-15ppm nitrates.

Stop feeding daily, only feed every 3-4 days. Add lots of live plants if possible. Live plants can help use up small amounts of ammonia. Daily 90% water changes, basically you need to change the max amount of water daily to minimize the buildup of organics which will cause ammonia and harm / kill your pet.

Stop cleaning the filter, no need right now as your barely feeding 3-4 days between small meals. Reason for this is less food in less poop out. Therefore less ammonia = happy fish.

Once your tank in cycled, which will take months if just left to cycle naturally without adding starter bacteria. Then you can feed daily.

Starter bacteria, live stuff, can speed up the cycle process to 7-10 days. Follow the instructors very carefully.

You must act very quickly or the fish will die to disease due to stress or parasite or toxic water conditions.

Reactions: Meeji90

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Helpful yes, but the answer no.

you need something like bacteria in a bottle or someone else cycled media.

Use prime dechlorination, it helps by binding the ammonia.

You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-15ppm nitrates.

Stop feeding daily, only feed every 3-4 days. Add lots of live plants if possible. Live plants can help use up small amounts of ammonia. Daily 90% water changes, basically you need to change the max amount of water daily to minimize the buildup of organics which will cause ammonia and harm / kill your pet.

Stop cleaning the filter, no need right now as your barely feeding 3-4 days between small meals. Reason for this is less food in less poop out. Therefore less ammonia = happy fish.

Once your tank in cycled, which will take months if just left to cycle naturally without adding starter bacteria. Then you can feed daily.

Starter bacteria, live stuff, can speed up the cycle process to 7-10 days. Follow the instructors very carefully.

You must act very quickly or the fish will die to disease due to stress or parasite or toxic water conditions.
You mention about bacteria in the bottle so I do have this and also added to the tank.
Hagen Fluval Biological Cleaner for Aquariums
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.00.17 AM.png
so I think I will regularly check the parameter and then add this accordingly.

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Just update guys, I did the water test this morning. Got good result but my fish still staying on the corner of the tank
Tonight when I get back from work also with additional bacteria in the bottle for helping the water/nitrogen cycle my fish looks much better. He/she start swimming like before and responding my call which is a good sign.
So I added the bacteria anyway and will do a water test tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for the suggestions, tips, and advice. That was very helpful.
I will keep updating this post.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Th
Just update guys, I did the water test this morning. Got good result but my fish still staying on the corner of the tank
Tonight when I get back from work also with additional bacteria in the bottle for helping the water/nitrogen cycle my fish looks much better. He/she start swimming like before and responding my call which is a good sign.
So I added the bacteria anyway and will do a water test tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for the suggestions, tips, and advice. That was very helpful.
I will keep updating this post.
Awesome I just recommend you research about fish and flowerhorn as much as possible or when you have free time. Welcome to the fish hobby. It’s a lot of fun.

Reactions: mcbuddy

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Now that ur water is good. Don't do anything, let the water run, cycle and no water change or chemicals. Try starving him for few days if his not eating. Flowerhorn are hardy fish, they will eventually adopt to ur water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store