New FH - not sure sick or stress ???

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Now that ur water is good. Don't do anything, let the water run, cycle and no water change or chemicals. Try starving him for few days if his not eating. Flowerhorn are hardy fish, they will eventually adopt to ur water.

I don't agree with this advice at all.

We know the tank is not cycled, and the op is not posting numbers but rather stating the water is good. Even if the op did massive water change there is no way 100% of the ammonia and or nitrites would be removed.

Any amount is harmful. The suggestion I would max is keep doing large water changes daily but avoid cleaning the filter as we want to allow the colony of beneficial bacteria to develop. Also, in order to feed the bacteria we need a food source. The fish also requires food to keep well and be able to fight off infections or parasites. Feeding every 2-3 days with small amounts will definitely help.

During this time when the tank is not fully cycled the fish is definitely stressed. Doing everything we can to minimize this is the goal.

Dim lighting, lots of plants and hides aka cover, proper temps, quality food, and most importantly a steady flow of clean water free of water and chlorine.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Large water changes especially daily can also hurt the colony of beneficial bacteria. I would also will agree with the plants and hides for temporarily just to help with ammonia and provide comfort for the fish but after the tank is cycled and the fish is healthy I would remove them because the plants would get destroyed and then you would get a flowerhorn that thinks it’s only comfort is a hide. The rest is a given. dim lighting, proper temps, quality food, and some flow etc... And I’m aware that his tank his probably not cycled after only a few days. The only to do that is with cycled media. I just hope he learned a lesson from his mistake. A very common mistake with every beginner. From now on just make sure your tank is 100% cycled before you add any fish. Their are a bunch of methods to cycle a tank but it normally does not take only a week unless you have precycled media.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Doing huge water change will disrupt all the bacteria that's been trying to thrive. The reason I want him to do nothing so he can observed how the flowerhorn is adopting to the parameters of the water. Having doing big wc does tend to stress the flowerhorn esp when the water isn't matched to the temp of the tank. Try feeding maybe smaller amount to build waste but I doubt it will eat on every big water change. We learn from our mistakes and its always nice to get input and knowledge about it.

aria

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
Dallas, Tx
Yeah Idk how effective that bottle you posted is.. it doesn't cycle a tank. you either need to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biolo...targid=pla-319024675894&psc=1#customerReviews maybe your lfs has it or fritzyme turbostart. Majority of people will swear by prime, it's what I use also. make sure everytime you do a water change you are dosing with prime. I let my water sit and I still do it just in case. You will want to purchase a 40 gallon breeder soon. Petco had a dollar per gallon sale so 40$ for a 40 breeder but idk if its still going on. You're also going to want to get some crushed coral or coral bones to buffer ph and to provide a surface for more bacteria to grow on. I suggest also purchasing a sponge or two. I use these https://www.amazon.com/Filtration-B...ie=UTF8&qid=1542451532&sr=1-1&keywords=xy-380. You can also buy the sponge individually and just use it where your powerhead intake is.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
For the dollar per gallon sale 29 gallons and under applies and 40,55,75 are all 50% off and for the brand sponge filter I get and many others swear by is the Hydro Lustar sponge filter

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Just update, I got a bigger tank last weekend and waited to cycle the water.
My fish already in a good mode and can't wait to move him/her to a bigger one.
Also, do you guys think I need to add water current maker for the bigger tank? I just want to make sure water flow evenly.

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
I feed my fish a very small amount every other day just want to make sure he/she gets the nutrition that needed. So far the water parameter is good - I checked daily every morning.
My fish is not stressed anymore just wait until I can move it to new tank

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Thank you all for responding to my post. I agree that I made mistake as a beginner, although I had experience with this type of fish back in the day ( ~ 12 years ago) and I just recently got a bigger place then decided to back to this hobby and forgot many essential things.

Lesson learned, I still have more things to learn. I will definitely continue this hobby since it so much fun.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Awesome I wish you the best. You are going to want to get a filter rater for 2-3 times the gallons of your new tank. That should be enough water movement. You could also add a sponge filter.

mcbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
Awesome I wish you the best. You are going to want to get a filter rater for 2-3 times the gallons of your new tank. That should be enough water movement. You could also add a sponge filter.
Thanks, I got another filter and it's a bigger one hanged on the back type though, should I use another one with sponge filter type?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store