New fish identification

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Ok so are you guys thinking red devil or midas? It really doesn't matter to me but I am just curious. Side note he is my son's fish and he decided to name him Clementine since his bump looks like one. :)

Reactions: #.$

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Sweet name and yes Midas and red devil cross. It's showing more Midas to me but I would definitely call it a hybrid of the 2. They are fun fish, wild at times. They also attack food and will bite, with time you will come to realize they have sharp teeth. They also have a great personality and can be very aggressive. One of my favorite fish for sure.

Reactions: brandyz

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Sweet name and yes Midas and red devil cross. It's showing more Midas to me but I would definitely call it a hybrid of the 2. They are fun fish, wild at times. They also attack food and will bite, with time you will come to realize they have sharp teeth. They also have a great personality and can be very aggressive. One of my favorite fish for sure.
Good to know about the biting. The previous owner did tell the pet store that he like to be petted so my son (he is 16) was super excited to try that but I will let him know. We fish alot so fish biting isn't the end of the world but hopefully he isn't a biter.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Not all bite and they do often let you touch then, just tell your son not to tempt the fish lol

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
You got lucky . It's a really nice fish.. and this type is my favorite pure cichlid

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice fish, just make sure your hands are clean of any soap or lotion etc if you plan on putting your hands in the tank.
Ime in a 7ft 300g amphilophus and texas do great together, just make sure there are 5+ large Cichlids to spread aggression. One fish will take charge and keep the others in check, very few Cichlids I've kept turned nasty, the only one I can think of was a 14" butti. In any tank smaller it's a risk tho.

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
You got lucky . It's a really nice fish.. and this type is my favorite pure cichlid
Thank you I could not leave him in the petstore. Now we have a displaced flowerhorn again. Thank goodness he is still very small and can be in a smaller tank until we can figure out what to do. I need to stay out of this store because its a dumping ground for these big fish and apparently I cannot say no because they are all amazing!!!

Reactions: tlindsey and J. H.

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Nice fish, just make sure your hands are clean of any soap or lotion etc if you plan on putting your hands in the tank.
Ime in a 7ft 300g amphilophus and texas do great together, just make sure there are 5+ large Cichlids to spread aggression. One fish will take charge and keep the others in check, very few Cichlids I've kept turned nasty, the only one I can think of was a 14" butti. In any tank smaller it's a risk tho.
I don't plan on doing that at all!! LOL but my son does so I will tell him. He is pretty adorable because he reads about these fish all the time and LOVES them so much so he was so excited that I brought him home. I am however going to rethink the next time I have my hand in my texas cichlid tank about his biting me because he has quite an attitude to begin with. Especially since I am trying to get him to eat pellets he is not a happy camper!

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Here are a few other pics I took last night. Lighting wasn't the best. He was quite active last night and we used a scrubber to clean the back wall of the tank which he went after and bit. He still hasn't eaten for us but we have only had him for 2 days now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store