New fish we just picked up

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Took the opportunity this weekend to take a ride over to my friends at Pier Aquatics. Didn't really go for anything in particular but they always seem to have something special. For those who know me, this is a special purchase, another Hemibagrus. This time one of the giants of the genus. Hemibagrus Variegatus.
By all accounts this is another grumpy fish, living in solitary confinement in the shop and apparently they could not even add plastic plants as it destroyed them.
68803688_2638660776195936_4412631124824555520_n_1.jpg
I will post more in tank photos once he has settled.
Hopefully he may mellow with age like the h. wykii has and the grumpy h. filamentus who is now even living in a community setup.I

Would be interested to hear of anyone who has one of these and see if this aggression is common.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow!!! That's a first for me. Superscore, Dave! You'll be our Sensei on this Mr. Crankypants.

How big do they supposedly grow? They have been described quite recently and probably their max size cannot be known or known well. No?

Are you calling the albino fish, which I thought to be H. nemurus, H. filamentus? Is this from knowledge, a guess, or a typo?

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Took the opportunity this weekend to take a ride over to my friends at Pier Aquatics. Didn't really go for anything in particular but they always seem to have something special. For those who know me, this is a special purchase, another Hemibagrus. This time one of the giants of the genus. Hemibagrus Variegatus.
By all accounts this is another grumpy fish, living in solitary confinement in the shop and apparently they could not even add plastic plants as it destroyed them.
View attachment 1403168
Hopefully he may mellow with age like the h. wykii has and the grumpy h. filamentus who is now even living in a community setup.I

Would be interested to hear of anyone who has one of these and see if this aggression is common.
Wow now that is a cool looking catfish.

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Oh my god, H. variegatus are such gorgeous fish. Definitely a dream fish of mine since I first saw it on PC, I can't wait to see how this turns out! Hemibagrus species are such interesting fish!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Wow!!! That's a first for me. Superscore, Dave! You'll be our Sensei on this Mr. Crankypants.

How big do they supposedly grow? They have been described quite recently and probably their max size cannot be known or known well. No?

Are you calling the albino fish, which I thought to be H. nemurus, H. filamentus? Is this from knowledge, a guess, or a typo?
Size as you say Victor is a guess currently although that guess stands around the four foot mark. Will be interesting to see if we can get that direction, albeit he will have to mellow to achieve that otherwise I need a dedicated pond!

The h.filamentus was a separate pick up earlier in the thread.

The fish we thought to be h.nemurus of mine is I don't think nemurus and I think may even be a mystus. Gonna look into that one a bit more.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
View attachment 1403168

What an absolute stunner!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice job, Dave!

Chicxulub Chicxulub

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com