New fish we just picked up

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Hi dave i also picked up a jau from piers have you got yours eating yet other than live or have u not tried feeding yet. Sorry to hear of the fila hope all settles down for u
Thought the juruense looked thin so at 5am this morning in the dark with a red light I tried him and the jau with a bit of bloodworm and a tiny piece of fish each. Jau took the fish but ignored any bloodworn and the juruense did the opposite although didn't actively search for the food, only went for what touched his whiskers. Piriaba still ignoring food as is bagarius but still very early yet. Great to hear you managed to pick up a Jau too.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
So, it's been just over six weeks. The capa I am told is a true piriaba, although even they seem to have so many variants no one knows which is which. However, finally he eats well and his whiskers are starting to grow back, albeit he is still amazingly skittish. Even opening the lid to feed, spooks him, albeit living with a tiger shovelnose and a tigrinum each of similar size to date has not caused too many issues but I expect that to change.
I will try to get photos of the others shortly.
juruense appears to have grown an inch and jau something similar although I had to split them up as jau was starting to pick on juruense. Neither have tank mates they can eat so growth is "controlled".

s2k2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2019
So, you may ask, "What's in the box Dave?"
View attachment 1360905
Well, today I took a trip to Pier Aquatics in Wigan here in the Uk as I knew they had some special fish in.

I Joined Josh (Rpul) in picking up a tiny Jau.
View attachment 1360906
And I picked up a B. Jeurense
View attachment 1360907
View attachment 1360908
A Bagarius Bagarius
View attachment 1360909
And a B. Capapratum
View attachment 1360910
Hopefully a thread on each will follow.
But in the mean time, what have you picked up recently?
Saw a 14 incher at exotic fish aquarium in sac for 100 perfect specimen

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Saw a 14 incher at exotic fish aquarium in sac for 100 perfect specimen
I am sorry, I am not following? A 14" jau? In Sacramento?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
A quick update.
unfortunately after 4months and only an inch in length growth I have lost the Juerense. Just not putting weight on and eventually he gave up trying.
on the positive side the jau is now around four inch and is in new 4ft accommodation with a new inmate, a 5" liarius marmoratus. I thought the jau had fast growth generally, like redtails , etc, but I bought the liarius at 3" and now 5" in just 2 weeks! !!! Never known growth like it!
The capa\ fila is doing well now and has hit 10" excluding tail in his 6 *2 tank with the bagarius and a tigrinus as tank mates. Still skittish but much less than he was and great to watch him circle back on his food before taking it. Starting to bulk out a bit now.IMG_20190519_155433.jpgIMG_20190403_222000.jpgIMG_20190428_173210.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great growth spurt on the Leiarius marmoratus / achara. Short-term growth can vary but over the first year, this fish grows on par with RTC, reaching about 1.5'-2' in one year. I too remember being astounded by the growth rate of my acharas. Jau grows slower in my hands, perhaps 1' in the first year. YMMV.

Sorry about the juruense. They are touchy when small and require increased attention and care, if they prove to be finicky with feeds offered or in general uncomfortable. They'd do better isolated then.

Reactions: moe214

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Just been away for the week and on my travels managed to pick up a couple of replacements for my Juerense. Different species but just as interesting for me since I've not been able to get any here for a while.
Hemibagrus filamentus
Hemibagrus olyroides
And a megaladoras uranoscopus
Was surprised to find the bagrids especially at under £30 for the two and he had rare imports on the sign so looks like this really big shop specializing on cats seem to find them hard to get hold of in this country, not sure why. But that puts my hemibagrus list up to 5.
Pictures to follow as I stupidly put them into their temporary quarantine home before taking photos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store