New flowerhorn!!

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
P PangDe nope. No real updates other than this has been the most difficult, time consuming and least rewarding fish I have ever kept. As far as keeping his health up, he’s probably the easiest fish I’ve kept. But when it comes to him getting comfortable with me, after months now he is still extremely hesitant and scared of me. I have moved him to a 40g breeder for the time being before I move houses just so he could have more space. That didn’t do anything for him. I have given him hiding places and he only hides now once I’m near the tank. I do bi-weekly water changes(thinking MAYBE it’s a water quality issue) which it isn’t after testing the water every week for the last month and it being spot on. Not to mention, my other tanks are doing and have always done phenomenal. I think this fish is just a dud that mentally is insane. If I stand across the room with his tank light off, he immediately comes out and about and colors up. But as soon as the light turns or if he sees me his colors deplete and he hides. I have spent every day trying to interact with him, and spending time in front of the tank so that he will get used to me and it has just almost gotten worse. That said, I have been trying to locate a new home for him. Maybe one day I will find a quality flowerhorn with a great disposition in my LFS but I will not be ordering one again. I think I’m going to setup a Congo River basin biotope tank with a schoutdenti puffer and other local inhabitants. I’ve been extremely let down with this guy vs the amount of time, energy and money spent trying to make him happy and healthy..
That's rough! Have you tried tankmates, dithers, or another aggressive fish divided?

I've kept a handful of FHs and they are usually very interactive. My issue with them is the constant battle with health issues. I got tired of playing doctor so only keep pure CA strains. Not to say I don't want one, they are so damn beautiful! ?

Reactions: tpaquarist17

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried showing him a mirror. Rivalry might bring out the courage.
no I haven’t, but at this point if he’s not a happy fish without a mirror I don’t want something that will not even interact with me. My SA tank come up to me like puppy dogs and aren’t scared if I have my hands in the tank. That is good enough for me

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
midasman714 midasman714 yes, I tried tiger barbs. He wasn’t aggressive towards them but when he was hungry one would disappear until there was only one left. He’s been in with a bichir for nearly a month and a half to two months now and there is absolutely no aggression, nipping or any of that. They just kind of ignore eachother. The bichir is more interactive than he is sadly enough

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
no I haven’t, but at this point if he’s not a happy fish without a mirror I don’t want something that will not even interact with me. My SA tank come up to me like puppy dogs and aren’t scared if I have my hands in the tank. That is good enough for me
May be making him feel dominant male take fear out of him.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Ruturaj Ruturaj i believe it’s a neurological issue. Have you ever seen a fish with seizures? Possibly epileptic? It happened two nights ago, I was laying in bed, his tank light was off but the light in the room was on. He started frantically darting around the tank hitting everything in his path. He made his way out of the tank and on to the floor. It’s carpet and the tank is less than 3 feet off the ground so impact wasn’t sufficient enough to do damage and I’m glad I was in the room when it happened. Since then it has happened three more times, it happens without any warning or trigger.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ruturaj Ruturaj i believe it’s a neurological issue. Have you ever seen a fish with seizures? Possibly epileptic? It happened two nights ago, I was laying in bed, his tank light was off but the light in the room was on. He started frantically darting around the tank hitting everything in his path. He made his way out of the tank and on to the floor. It’s carpet and the tank is less than 3 feet off the ground so impact wasn’t sufficient enough to do damage and I’m glad I was in the room when it happened. Since then it has happened three more times, it happens without any warning or trigger.
That's terrible, may be something spooked him. Maybe RD. RD. or someone else might know what's going on, create a new thread.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I highly doubt your fish has neurological issues or is epileptic. Are you sure the bichir (which can be more active at night and have bad eyesight) isn't purposely or accidentally messing with him?

Reactions: Ruturaj and JSpilo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store