New flowerhorn!!

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Mine didn't eat new life spectrum pallet, but is eating blood worms. Is it related to floating vs sinking pallets? I am going to try hikari blood parrot plus.

My fish is timid as well, hides when I go close to the tank.
yeah mine is still timid too but he will literally eat anything you put in the tank now. At first he was super picky with food

Reactions: Ruturaj

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Mine spits the NLS but eats it later on.
thats good he is eating, let me know how he likes the hikari blood red if you try it. I heard it’s not a good staple food in his diet but more of a treat, mine loves hikari gold though

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
thats good he is eating, let me know how he likes the hikari blood red if you try it. I heard it’s not a good staple food in his diet but more of a treat, mine loves hikari gold though
Not planning to go for any other food right now.

Why are you not feeding bio gold plus, it's supposed to be better for flowerhorns as per hikari.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Not planning to go for any other food right now.

Why are you not feeding bio gold plus, it's supposed to be better for flowerhorns as per hikari.

My little guy literally leaps out the tank for Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. I need to drop the pellets into his feeding corner quick or out he goes after my fingers. I feed him this exclusively.

Reactions: Ruturaj

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
My little guy literally leaps out the tank for Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. I need to drop the pellets into his feeding corner quick or out he goes after my fingers. I feed him this exclusively.
Bio-gold + is the sh*t but I rotate it with NLS and omega one throughout the week

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
P PangDe nope. No real updates other than this has been the most difficult, time consuming and least rewarding fish I have ever kept. As far as keeping his health up, he’s probably the easiest fish I’ve kept. But when it comes to him getting comfortable with me, after months now he is still extremely hesitant and scared of me. I have moved him to a 40g breeder for the time being before I move houses just so he could have more space. That didn’t do anything for him. I have given him hiding places and he only hides now once I’m near the tank. I do bi-weekly water changes(thinking MAYBE it’s a water quality issue) which it isn’t after testing the water every week for the last month and it being spot on. Not to mention, my other tanks are doing and have always done phenomenal. I think this fish is just a dud that mentally is insane. If I stand across the room with his tank light off, he immediately comes out and about and colors up. But as soon as the light turns or if he sees me his colors deplete and he hides. I have spent every day trying to interact with him, and spending time in front of the tank so that he will get used to me and it has just almost gotten worse. That said, I have been trying to locate a new home for him. Maybe one day I will find a quality flowerhorn with a great disposition in my LFS but I will not be ordering one again. I think I’m going to setup a Congo River basin biotope tank with a schoutdenti puffer and other local inhabitants. I’ve been extremely let down with this guy vs the amount of time, energy and money spent trying to make him happy and healthy..

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
P PangDe nope. No real updates other than this has been the most difficult, time consuming and least rewarding fish I have ever kept. As far as keeping his health up, he’s probably the easiest fish I’ve kept. But when it comes to him getting comfortable with me, after months now he is still extremely hesitant and scared of me. I have moved him to a 40g breeder for the time being before I move houses just so he could have more space. That didn’t do anything for him. I have given him hiding places and he only hides now once I’m near the tank. I do bi-weekly water changes(thinking MAYBE it’s a water quality issue) which it isn’t after testing the water every week for the last month and it being spot on. Not to mention, my other tanks are doing and have always done phenomenal. I think this fish is just a dud that mentally is insane. If I stand across the room with his tank light off, he immediately comes out and about and colors up. But as soon as the light turns or if he sees me his colors deplete and he hides. I have spent every day trying to interact with him, and spending time in front of the tank so that he will get used to me and it has just almost gotten worse. That said, I have been trying to locate a new home for him. Maybe one day I will find a quality flowerhorn with a great disposition in my LFS but I will not be ordering one again. I think I’m going to setup a Congo River basin biotope tank with a schoutdenti puffer and other local inhabitants. I’ve been extremely let down with this guy vs the amount of time, energy and money spent trying to make him happy and healthy..
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried showing him a mirror. Rivalry might bring out the courage.

Reactions: tpaquarist17
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store