New 'hairy' monster in the house

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
They look exactly the same...do they have the same care requirements?
Both are lukers with suvatti liking to bury itself in sand and the hairy liking caves. Pretty much identical eating habits so thats why I decided on the two different types.

You have pics of the other one ? I thought you only had 1 puffer
The hairy has been with me for about 4 years the suvatti happened after I rehomed the oscars. This is the arrowhead puffer.

Another pic of it showing lighter

With exception of substrate. You can get away with gravel for the hairy while the suvatti likes to bury itself in sand.
Yep, this is what the suvatti does...

hairys don't bury themselves? huh, for an "ambush puffer" that's pretty unusual.
My hairy loves his little cave.

My old suvatti was just like yours. Honestly I said this one would be with me forever, but I'm contemplating giving it away. It is literally a rock that hardly eats anything. I'm going to give a year
This suvatti is just crazy aggressive and a slave to its stomach. Im glad its an active one. Sorry to hear yours is still so inactive.

Reactions: twentyleagues

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Can you tell its gaining any size?
Yeah, the suvatti is growing. I pretty much feed it daily. Not doing the belly buldge method, but just feeding a little bit every day. Pretty much rewarding its behavior to respond to my presence. Usually just one nightcrawler or piece of tilapia or squid. It gets to the point where it just pops out of the sand when it sees anyone. I feel like this one will get bigger than my hairy puff. It has been a much more aggressive feeder from day one. The hairy has always been a much pickier eater.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Very cool david.

They cant be kept together right ?

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Very cool david.

They cant be kept together right ?
Best as solo wet pet. I have each of mine in 65B tanks of their own. Way overkill on size for these fish but I think they like the space.

i wouldn't think so. in a video where there were some together they all had missing tails.
Yeah I think they will sometimes force multiple puffers in a tank to sell at pet stores but usually very unhappy and beat up fish are the result.

which one is cheaper DMD123 DMD123
My arrowhead was less expensive by maybe $25-$30. The hairy puffers do cost more and they are not seen for sale too often. My understanding is that they are wild caught and have seasonal availability.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
My suvatti was $50
The hairy I was going to buy was $70
My Miurus Congo was around $60

I see way more hairy puffers than I do suvatti. I've been looking for a suvatti for yrs.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Nice shot!!! My guy has resorted to hiding 90% of the time now... went from super active to super lazy...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My suvatti was $50
The hairy I was going to buy was $70
My Miurus Congo was around $60

I see way more hairy puffers than I do suvatti. I've been looking for a suvatti for yrs.
Like most of the less common puffers, they seem to go through cycles of being available then un-available for years for some reason...

Palembangs / Salivator / Suvatti / Hairy / Congo / SAP’s for me at least seem to go through that cycle, where every few years you’ll see them for sale everywhere, then all of a sudden, you wont find them again for years...

Congos i can sort of understand due to where they are collected, but the rest seem weird...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store