New Jardini Arowana foods

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
Good Afternoon All, I recently obtained a Jardini Arowana. He/She is currently 7in-8in and I had some difficulty feeding it pellets (Hikari Floating Pellets and Hikari Massivore). The Jardini will take them then chew it up then spit it out. THen will go back and chew it and spit it up again causing mess in the tank. So far this Jardini has only eaten Freeze dried krill and Frozen Silversides chopped up. I am close to giving in and just feeding it whatever it wants but I would love for it to start eating the pellets so it can get all nutrients it needs to grow. Should I starve the Jardini in hopes it eventually gives in, or just give it whatever it wants? At the store I got it from he was eating pellets just fine when I watched it eat. Thanks let me know.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Don't give it anything else until it fully eats the pellets.....as long as you offer other foids it won't take to the pellets.

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
K krichardson Thanks a bunch, I figured that may be what the next step is. I currently have a SIlver Arowana who eats pellets but the moment he gets krill 1 day he get really picky with the pellets and does the same chew and spit thing but usually within a week he is back to eating pellets. The Jardini shows willingness to eat but he is soooo anti pellet. Funny thing is he ignores pellets until they sink as well. Currently I have the temp set to 82 degrees as well to raise metabolic rate and get him hungry faster. So far it has been 3 days without food.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson Thanks a bunch, I figured that may be what the next step is. I currently have a SIlver Arowana who eats pellets but the moment he gets krill 1 day he get really picky with the pellets and does the same chew and spit thing but usually within a week he is back to eating pellets. The Jardini shows willingness to eat but he is soooo anti pellet. Funny thing is he ignores pellets until they sink as well. Currently I have the temp set to 82 degrees as well to raise metabolic rate and get him hungry faster. So far it has been 3 days without food.
Glad to help.I'd imagine eating dry pellets can be a hard learn for some fish since they are hardwired to consume the flesh of other animals.You seem to be on the right track though.The aro will eventually eat the pellets regularly,just don't give in.

Reactions: Vertigon_z

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
Pretty Much eating pellets everyday now. The Jardini gave in just as expected and ate pellets just fine.

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
Mines took 4 days without food, Days 1-4 he literally spit the food out in pieces. Eventually he just ate the Hikati floating sticks around day 4-5 and since then has shown considerable bulk. R Richard203

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store