New Kamfa Flowerhorn not eating, scared..

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thanks. Water parameters have been fine hand have tested daily since the removal of the other decor etc.

I tried a little bit of prawns last night, he inspected and again wasn't interested. This morning I dropped a pellet in. Which he then took in his mouth then spat out. Small progress it seems.
I recommend leaving him alone with the lights off for a week. Keep the water really clean. I think he fine he is just hooked on live food and is not comfortable because the dithers gave him more comfort but he should definitely settle in. Dont feed him bloodworms until he can eat pellets because the bloodworms are unhealthy as a staple and he can get addicted to them aswell. Starve him for a couple days or a week if you have to and try feed him pellets because that should be their staple diet. Try and leave him alone and not mess with him as much as possible for the next couple weeks so he can get used to his surroundings and feel comfortable in his tank. Every other food besides pellets should be supplemented as treats and not ever fed as a staple. Some fish live the healthiest lives on only a variety of high quality pellets such as NLS, omega one, and hikari.

Reactions: Meeji90

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I have had a new fish that was so scared of me he wanted to jump out of the tank in fear of me walking up to the tank. Now that fish gets mad and tries to bite through the glass if I get to close and if I try to put my hands near the water he tries to jump out the water to bite me. It just takes time and patience for a fish to get comfortable or even form a bond with you. And people still say that blood parrot aren't agressive.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
My flowerhorn also used to get spooked pretty easily and would bang into the glass to get away from me. Now he enjoys being touched and held in the water. He tail slaps me and bites me to let me know he's had enough but he definitely enjoys it because he swims back for more and rubs against my hand.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Well just a quick check of the water parameters here and there is 0.50ppm ammonia. Looks like a mini cycle. I have Seachem Prime which has detoxified the ammonia, will just keep an eye on it.

He seems more hungry today and is trying things, so will leave it a day or two and try again. Hopefully the hikari pellets will be here by then.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Try to starve him for 3-4 dayd and turn the lights off of your fish tank but make sure there is a room lights so he wont get skittish or stressed with the light.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
So my hikari cichlid gold pellets arrived today. I put a couple in the tank and left them for 10 minutes. He is attempting to eat them, taking them in his mouth and breaking them up. So he has started eating. Happy days. Hopefully his shyness with me starts to fade over time.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
The pellets might be too big. You might want to crush them up to make it easier for him to eat.
Tried this and nope not interested. I've had someone on a FB group tell me its parasites. There has been no white poop though and is also fairly active.

Back to square one it seems. If anyone is interested here is a video...

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Starve him for 5 days. Are those chiliensis? Maybe remove does, he might be nipping on it. Close the tank lights but keep a room lights on.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Starve him for 5 days. Are those chiliensis? Maybe remove does, he might be nipping on it. Close the tank lights but keep a room lights on.
Chiliensis? There are no other fish in there so I can only assume you mean the plants. I can remove those yeah.

I will try the starve thing. 5 days which will take me to Monday and I'll report back then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store