New Kamfas on the way!

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Nice pickup.

I would recommend feeding a higher protein food as a supplement. That's what they feed the fish overseas and it's no wonder why sometimes we cant attain the same color consistency.

By no means am I saying replace his diet with higher protein foods. Just add it into his regimen. I could recommend a few foods if that is an option.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Nice pickup.

I would recommend feeding a higher protein food as a supplement. That's what they feed the fish overseas and it's no wonder why sometimes we cant attain the same color consistency.

By no means am I saying replace his diet with higher protein foods. Just add it into his regimen. I could recommend a few foods if that is an option.
IMO after 45% protein, it's more harm than good. Everything that can kick in breeding related behavior will cause fish to color up by some extent. It's temperature, high protein food etc. Anyway the change is temporary and not worth IMO. I guess that's why fish overseas don't live that long. I rarely see anyone posting more than 4 year old fish.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Fishenvy Fishenvy Ruturaj Ruturaj as of right now they are both getting fed okiko red head mark, nls cichlid formula and bug bites cichlid formula as well as bloodworms or freeze dried krill 1-2 times a week as treats. I will be ordering the entire line of Excalibur foods shortly, with each different food varying in amounts of protein, color enhancers, spirulina and other ingredients it should be a very well rounded diet and bring the best color out of the fish. I’m going to mix the foods altogether so that it is well rounded and I don’t have to pull food separately from each bag.

I did tons of research on other alternatives such as hikari blood red parrot, new life spectrum ultra red and other foreign foods. But the Excalibur brand offers so much information into what goes into their products and has been recommended to me multiple times so I feel safest dealing with them and only them. Not to mention, everything is made in the USA and there are no fillers in their food.

Even based off of the diet that the fish get now though, I am still seeing more and more color and growth each and everyday. I will keep this thread updated on their growth and transformation so that I can give honest opinions and reviews on products I use.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Fishenvy Fishenvy Ruturaj Ruturaj as of right now they are both getting fed okiko red head mark, nls cichlid formula and bug bites cichlid formula as well as bloodworms or freeze dried krill 1-2 times a week as treats. I will be ordering the entire line of Excalibur foods shortly, with each different food varying in amounts of protein, color enhancers, spirulina and other ingredients it should be a very well rounded diet and bring the best color out of the fish. I’m going to mix the foods altogether so that it is well rounded and I don’t have to pull food separately from each bag.

I did tons of research on other alternatives such as hikari blood red parrot, new life spectrum ultra red and other foreign foods. But the Excalibur brand offers so much information into what goes into their products and has been recommended to me multiple times so I feel safest dealing with them and only them. Not to mention, everything is made in the USA and there are no fillers in their food.

Even based off of the diet that the fish get now though, I am still seeing more and more color and growth each and everyday. I will keep this thread updated on their growth and transformation so that I can give honest opinions and reviews on products I use.
I don't think any of those foods is balanced.

Staple food has too much protein (min 47% means around 50).
Mass effect has even more protein (57% claimed here).
Diamond dust has skewed to use more spirulina which is too much. (Owner claimed 40% but I can't see how, I much prefer mix of algaes here)
Intense red, astaxanthin is a costly but micro nutrient, any food can have it.
I am not a fan of salmon being first ingredient either .

Excalibur has just created craze in facebook flowerhorn groups and sell overpriced food. I am not sure what you are referring to when you said "Excalibur brand offers so much information into what goes into their products".

NLS is made in USA and northfin is made in Canada. I trust those two brands much more, Krill pro from northfin (85% krill) and Algaemax (9 types of algae as primary ingredient) from NLS makes a good combo of plenty of variety and no fillers. NLS even has a good blog

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Ruturaj Ruturaj specifically speaking from my experience with northfin and nls both, I have invested quite a bit of money up front on multiple bags of each and none of my fish have ever taken a liking to it. I had a group of red head tapajos that after weeks of trying, would finally eat some of the northfin, but others would still spit it out. Same goes with nls, I have fed it to my Flowerhorns since day one, they had always spit it until just a few days ago they have started to take it. They do not go crazy and eat all of it once it has hit the water like they do with the other foods though. Since I’ve had these foods for a few months now and have tried them with so many species of fish, it’s left a bad impression of the brands on me. I have looked at their websites and I have read into them, they seem to be quality companies but my fish have never reacted to their foods. I could always try other foods from them but I don’t want that money to be wasted. I have heard lots of reviews from people solely based on Flowerhorns that have gotten quality results off of Excalibur foods such as Chris Rounds cichlids. After looking through their website and looking into the ingredients, they are much better made than the other foreign brands ie: okiko, hikari etc... that everyone else seems to recommend.

Based off of your experience with their foods, I’m open to recommendations on what you feed your fh and what you feel you’ve had the best success with. I am not locked down to any brand, I am only sharing my personal experiences and basing what I will try next off of others experiences and recommendations

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
RealCrix220 RealCrix220 these are relatively cheap fish, not really high grade at all, plus they are simple and easy to keep as long as you have a proper tank to house them, feed them a good diet and keep up with water changes. I hope you can find one sometime soon, they’re fun to keep!

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Once I get my 8 foot back in action it will be going in there possibly or I might throw one in the 5 foot

I’ve kept large cichlids in the past and done quite well with them so I’m confident I could get one looking quite nice

you might come across some of my large American cichlids while your browsing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store