New Kamfas on the way!

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
RealCrix220 RealCrix220 what did you keep? I’ve kept quite a few central and South American cichlids as well. I don’t post much on here though, only on the flowerhorn and hybrid threads.

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I had red terrors, tigers, Freddie’s, ornatum, Madagascan ( not American ) I had a few different geos, salvin which I bread um I had green terrors, red Texas I went through a whole lot of Americans with others I liked thrown in. I had a lovely red fontosa

heres a few photos

9EDFB64F-7411-47F2-B654-7A91CBDAC3AD.jpeg

1A278B59-6AD5-427E-8A14-631CF45A0885.jpeg

F4BA123D-1923-4611-92C0-8AE47FEEAFF3.jpeg

23B4636F-AEAA-4601-ABAB-5D74BEF4F083.jpeg

04DC3723-2215-423E-87F6-AD967EC990D3.jpeg

0BFBF0A6-3AAF-47A8-839C-CB5FAB7B61E8.jpeg

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ruturaj Ruturaj specifically speaking from my experience with northfin and nls both, I have invested quite a bit of money up front on multiple bags of each and none of my fish have ever taken a liking to it. I had a group of red head tapajos that after weeks of trying, would finally eat some of the northfin, but others would still spit it out. Same goes with nls, I have fed it to my Flowerhorns since day one, they had always spit it until just a few days ago they have started to take it. They do not go crazy and eat all of it once it has hit the water like they do with the other foods though. Since I’ve had these foods for a few months now and have tried them with so many species of fish, it’s left a bad impression of the brands on me. I have looked at their websites and I have read into them, they seem to be quality companies but my fish have never reacted to their foods. I could always try other foods from them but I don’t want that money to be wasted. I have heard lots of reviews from people solely based on Flowerhorns that have gotten quality results off of Excalibur foods such as Chris Rounds cichlids. After looking through their website and looking into the ingredients, they are much better made than the other foreign brands ie: okiko, hikari etc... that everyone else seems to recommend.

Based off of your experience with their foods, I’m open to recommendations on what you feed your fh and what you feel you’ve had the best success with. I am not locked down to any brand, I am only sharing my personal experiences and basing what I will try next off of others experiences and recommendations
Gotcha, some foods are like candy for fish. My parrots eat only hikari. I am planning to get them on NLS and northfin. When I got my flowerhorn last year he didn't eat NLS at first as well, after a day he started eating it and he does go crazy for it. I guess you need to get your flowerhorns exclusively on a new food for some days then mix other food, otherwise it just doesn't work.

I would say, don't feed for a day or two, then they would eat northfin or NLS. Once they start eating it keep them on it for month and then mix something else if you want to.

Even if you get excalibur most probably you would run it to the same issue. No matter what meaty food I feed NLS algaemax makes a good veggie supplement as most meaty foods hardly use more 1 or 2 types of algae. And spirulina is really not an algae, it's a cynobacteria.

I am not popular with many flowerhorn fish food sellers on fb as I don't recommend their food. Okiko is definitely a very low quality food many users run in to issues at some point. Hikari is a good food with low quality ingredients, reasons behind hikaris success are they post processing is so good that they make food attractive to fish, nutritionally balanced and availability is better than any other brand.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Gotcha, some foods are like candy for fish. My parrots eat only hikari. I am planning to get them on NLS and northfin. When I got my flowerhorn last year he didn't eat NLS at first as well, after a day he started eating it and he does go crazy for it. I guess you need to get your flowerhorns exclusively on a new food for some days then mix other food, otherwise it just doesn't work.

I would say, don't feed for a day or two, then they would eat northfin or NLS. Once they start eating it keep them on it for month and then mix something else if you want to.

Even if you get excalibur most probably you would run it to the same issue. No matter what meaty food I feed NLS algaemax makes a good veggie supplement as most meaty foods hardly use more 1 or 2 types of algae. And spirulina is really not an algae, it's a cynobacteria.

I am not popular with many flowerhorn fish food sellers on fb as I don't recommend their food. Okiko is definitely a very low quality food many users run in to issues at some point. Hikari is a good food with low quality ingredients, reasons behind hikaris success are they post processing is so good that they make food attractive to fish, nutritionally balanced and availability is better than any other brand.
Do you know about OF (Ocean Free) FH food products? Are they superior or equal in quality to Hikari?

IMG_9530.JPG

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I don't think any of those foods is balanced.

Excalibur has just created craze in facebook flowerhorn groups and sell overpriced food. I am not sure what you are referring to when you said "Excalibur brand offers so much information into what goes into their products".

I'm not promoting it but as someone who's been using hikari for years, I've seen drastic changes in the color development. I would recommend at least trying the different foods.

As far as okiko, I've only had 1 bag of head huncher and that really made the colors pop.

When it comes down to it. Hikari gold will always be my #1

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm not promoting it but as someone who's been using hikari for years, I've seen drastic changes in the color development. I would recommend at least trying the different foods.

As far as okiko, I've only had 1 bag of head huncher and that really made the colors pop.

When it comes down to it. Hikari gold will always be my #1
You need to try northfin jumbo/tropical sticks and krill pro. I think those are much better foods than all you have mentioned.

Okiko is crap quality with very high protein, definitely not trying it ever.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
You need to try northfin jumbo/tropical sticks and krill pro. I think those are much better foods than all you have mentioned.

Okiko is crap quality with very high protein, definitely not trying it ever.
High protein is a very good way of giving your FH fatty liver disease amongst other problems. It also has a high chance of causing constipation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store