New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets for bichir

Eviscera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2021
I’m planning to switch to New Life Spectrum Thera A to feed several of my 5-6” upper jaw bichirs. Right now I’m feeding them Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and the pellet size is just perfect for them. Since I’m planning to purchase online, and didn’t want to make the mistake of getting a pellet that is too small or too big for them, which NLS Thera A pellet size should I get ?

Reactions: Tj203 and clm08k

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
E Eviscera _ Here’s a photo of the pellet on a quarter. It’ll give u a good idea on the size. Been using these on 3-4” growouts for yearz. All my 20”ers eat em too.

6ECF2971-173D-4FB1-A373-C49E55454A62.jpeg

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
I’m planning to switch to New Life Spectrum Thera A to feed several of my 5-6” upper jaw bichirs. Right now I’m feeding them Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and the pellet size is just perfect for them. Since I’m planning to purchase online, and didn’t want to make the mistake of getting a pellet that is too small or too big for them, which NLS Thera A pellet size should I get ?
Hello E Eviscera ,
You asked this question at the perfect time. I just purchased NLS Thera A "regular" and "medium" sized pellets. The regular size is almost like powder it's so small it's worthless. The medium size is like grains of salt, also worthless. I bought them for their quality ingredients. They have a "large" size but it can't be that much bigger than medium I'm sure. I am now looking at maybe buying Omega One Cichlid Pellets 4mm "large" or Northfin Jumbo Fish 4mm "jumbo" size. I'm interested in seeing their actual size. I've heard that Hikari has larger pellets but I don't care for the ingredients. If you get any good ideas feel free to share. GL

Last edited:
Reactions: Eviscera

Eviscera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2021
Why the switch? I’ve been using 2.2lb bag hikari Gold sinking medium pellets for years. For big and small polys. At around $21 per 2.2lb online.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about NLS and just feel like changing their diet up a little bit bit I’ll be sure to smooth out the transition by offering part hikari and part nls before the full change.
E Eviscera _ Here’s a photo of the pellet on a quarter. It’ll give u a good idea on the size. Been using these on 3-4” growouts for yearz. All my 20”ers eat em too.

View attachment 1463809
That do seem like the perfect size for my bichir tbh. And it’s sinking too but do you think it’s better than the carnivore pellets ? I’m changing to NLS partly because many people claim them to be better than the carnivore pellets. But who knows maybe I’ll try this too someday.

Reactions: clm08k

Eviscera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2021
Hello E Eviscera ,
You asked this question at the perfect time. I just purchased NLS Thera A "regular" and "medium" sized pellets. The regular size is almost like powder it's so small it's worthless. The medium size is like grains of salt, also worthless. I bought them for their quality ingredients. They have a "large" size but it can't be that much bigger than medium I'm sure. I am now looking at maybe buying Omega One Cichlid Pellets 4mm "large" or Northfin Jumbo Fish 4mm "jumbo" size. I'm interested in seeing their actual size. I've heard that Hikari has larger pellets but I don't care for the ingredients. If you get any good ideas feel free to share. GL
Now I’m glad that I asked this question here before buying. I was actually leaning more on the medium size before but now I guess Large/Jumbo should be the one I should get. Omega One was one of the other brands that I was considering before deciding to try NLS Thera A. Probably gonna put it in my wishlist for the next time I’m stocking up their food or I could just buy both and try both out lol. Thanks for the reply !
5-6" upper jaw bichirs should be good with thera-a large (3-3.5mm). I have that size pellet and feed it to my 5-8" bichirs. The next size up for thera+A is Jumbo (https://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Thera-Naturox/dp/B077NH9XSN)

Curious enough there's a extra large size only for their float series, which is in between large and Jumbo
Do you happen to know the size for the Jumbo ones ? Is it a big leap over the Large ones ?
You need Jumbo size for bichir 12" and up. Make sure you don't accidentally buy the floating kind.
Interestingly enough all my bichirs like to eat from the surface. I feed fluval bug bites cichlid formula pellets specifically for my wood catfish and my sens and dels go nuts over them too. They would swim to the top to take them and then slowly sink down to the bottom while chewing the pellets lol. Such a sight to see.

Reactions: Cich Mind

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I’ve heard a lot of good things about NLS and just feel like changing their diet up a little bit bit I’ll be sure to smooth out the transition by offering part hikari and part nls before the full change.

That do seem like the perfect size for my bichir tbh. And it’s sinking too but do you think it’s better than the carnivore pellets ? I’m changing to NLS partly because many people claim them to be better than the carnivore pellets. But who knows maybe I’ll try this too someday.
E Eviscera _ believe it to be the same ingredient make up as sinking gold. Carnivore & Massivore is higher in Protein. Carnivore pellet is larger than Sinking Gold and marketed to be for smaller mouths. Kinda how the Massivores are for the bigger fellas.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store