New Life Spectrum

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I've been feeding New Life Spectrum for over 10 years and have always been happy with their product. I've always bought the "sinking" type; since I have overflows, I don't want the food to float and get sucked straight into my filter.

I ordered the 1MM size last month and the 3MM size a few months ago. Less than half of the pellets actually sink. Anyone else having this issue? Reading Amazon reviews, I noticed lots of people buying the 1mm size were upset that the size of the pellets are half of what they used to be (I noticed the same thing with my recent order of 1mm).

What's going on at NLS? Seems like they're going downhill.

@RD - don't you work for them? Can you share what's going on with the change in product?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've been feeding New Life Spectrum for over 10 years and have always been happy with their product. I've always bought the "sinking" type; since I have overflows, I don't want the food to float and get sucked straight into my filter.

I ordered the 1MM size last month and the 3MM size a few months ago. Less than half of the pellets actually sink. Anyone else having this issue? Reading Amazon reviews, I noticed lots of people buying the 1mm size were upset that the size of the pellets are half of what they used to be (I noticed the same thing with my recent order of 1mm).

What's going on at NLS? Seems like they're going downhill.

@RD - don't you work for them? Can you share what's going on with the change in product?

The Brand is still good. I have experienced the same with other products as well.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
RD. RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, work for them? Nope, and never did. I used to import their food into Canada and sell wholesale to retail outlets, but not for several yrs now.

I still feed their food, love the new Naturox line of foods, and mine certainly don't float. Perhaps the odd one floats for a few seconds, but I certainly haven't experienced what you are describing. I am currently feeding 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, and the AlgaeMax wafers.

Some of their sizes have changed over the past year or so, more about that in the following vid.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thanks for the video rd, enjoyed it.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Thank for the info. I'm a details guy and that video was lacking in that department.

They have "pioneered new pellet forming techniques" that have resulted in different size pellets and it seems like the density of the pellet has also been effected. I guess they want to keep it a secret as to how they manage to create pellets they used to sell as 1mm that are now half the size and ignores the issues of all the floaters. Before the changes, I never had so many floaters, so not sure what's going on there to have the same issue with two different sized sinking pellets from two different orders.

I've gone back to using Hikari Bio-Gold Sinking because they actually sink. Pretty irritated at dropping $100+ on two buckets of Sinking NLS, ~50% of which ends up floating right into my filter.

In regards to the color change, again, she was pretty vague.
"We've removed pigment from our pellets that let the natural color of our ingredients when they are mixed, shine through." She then goes on to say, "we have never added artificial food coloring to our pellets." What exactly are these pigments that they used to include, but are now removing?

Reading between the lines, the reality is more likely that they found a cheaper vendor/manufacturer and they're putting this video out to try to appease unhappy customers as a result of those changes.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Aldiaz, here’s a crazy idea. How about you turn off the filters while you feed?

Reactions: MaseBoogie

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree, the video was weak, but most manufacturers aren't going to give anyone a blow by blow on how they produce their products.

The reality is New Life makes their own food, on site, and has for many years. Sometimes in an attempt to create a better product line, changes have to be made. The new formulas all cost more due to the raw ingredients currently being used. Not less. For a details guy you sure don't have all of your details in check. As an example Krill meal that is preserved naturally sans ethoxyquin costs approx. twice as much $. Consumers have been asking about natural preservatives for years. Now they got it.

The size change is not a big thing for most people, they don't their containers by the number of pellets, they sell them by weight. A fish eating a 2mm pellet will just as readily eat a 1mm pellet. I have a 13-14" midas that will eat 3mm pellets, so if the size is a big issue, buy 2mm next time around. Or don't, whatever. My tanks have a lot of surface agitation so perhaps this is why mine all sink, and only half of yours do - not sure? But I'm feeding the same sizes as you, without any issues. Perhaps try tossing them into your tank with some force, to break the surface. And/or turn your filters off while feeding, as fishhead suggested.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You're missing the point. He bought sinking pellets, he should get sinking pellets.
When you’re expecting lemons and life gives you oranges you make orange juice.
All I’m saying is that he might as well try to make it work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store