New Malawi Mbuna Tank

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Little update on the tank. A lot of growth and breeding. Quite a few males have colored up, but still waiting on some like pseudotropheus johanni and labeotropheus fuelleborni. I also added a few other species:
Pseudotropheus williamsi "north" (10)
Maylandia lombardoi (8)
Labidichromis chisumulae (1 M/F pair)

I wasn't planning on the lombardi and the chisumulae, but my local lfs had them and they looked nice. The lombardi can be a pain and get big, but I think with my rough and tumble crowd they may stay in check. Besides I needed some light blue in the tank, and the males provide a nice golden yellow color to the swarm. Also, i noticed this strain the males were turning color late, around the 3.5 to 4 inch mark and not at a much smaller size like you see at pet smart and petco. The gold is also much brighter than the ones I've seen at those stores.

The chisumulae are not getting beat up but aren't exactly strutting their stuff. Hopefully they find a place in the tank.

The williamsi are still small but aren't bashful at all. They spend all day chasing one another. I've noticed a lot of the other species leave them alone for the most part as well.

20190425_213841.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Even in the pic it looks like a busy tank. Nice!!

Can't believe the difference 5 months has made since your first pic of them.

Reactions: lunsforj

-Die4U-

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Wow beautiful tank . Love your rocks . I think I have about 25 of same sizes and kinds in my 125. Your making me think I need to go get some more fish for my tank .

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
lunsforj lunsforj My cichlid tank has nothing like a natural look.
I call it the Petco Discount Biotope.
But your rock setup looks really natural.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store