New pike . What is he exactly

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since many pike cichlids are similar in shape, the markings and color need to be obvious to ID.
I tried to bring out that in a photo with an edit, but was not enough.
fullsizeoutput_185b.jpeg
Try to get a shot bringing those features out, something like this, I realize its very difficult with such bright substrate.

above Crenicichla saxatillus "sp Uruguay" above
Crenicichla belly crawler below

Reactions: Snookcrook

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
Let it settle in and will see. Even if it’s saxatalis be careful with the tankmates. They will eat that pike.
I’m unhappy with the behavior of my peacock bass I would rather keep the pike than them if push comes to shove .

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
Since many pike cichlids are similar in shape, the markings and color need to be obvious to ID.
I tried to bring out that in a photo with an edit, but was not enough.
View attachment 1381999
Try to get a shot bringing those features out, something like this, I realize its very difficult with such bright substrate.

above Crenicichla saxatillus "sp Uruguay" above
Crenicichla belly crawler below
Thanks man

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
By the way, there are over 135 "described species" of Pike cichlids, and another almost 40 "undescribed" so far.
Not to mention all the location variants.
And many species change markings as they age, or with dominance, so its a needle in a ......even with a sharp, perfectly lit photo.
Below, my wild caught saxatillis "Uruguay"when young

Now much older

And consider the above are Uruguayan, so they are a cool water saxatillis, there are also warm water more northern South American variants from Bolivia, the Guianas, even into the island of Trinidad., some show iridescent spots, some not, some a darker horizontal strip, some not.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Kind of looks like a regani dwarf pike, the tail and stripes on it looks similar to mine.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
If you can get a better pic it’ll help. It’s seems to belong to the medium sIzed Saxatilis species. Looks like a proteus at first glance. And a female on at that. Take some new pics.

Reactions: tlindsey

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
In my opinion it is some sort of saxitilis species. 8-10 inches full grown.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store