New polypterus delhezi!!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is one I have in grow out now too. It's about 4" now when I got it it was 1" maybe less smallest del I've ever seen. But all my dels have hung out near the top pretty sure it's natural. I'm guessing in nature they hunt bugs and small amphibians near the surface. They probably do this in the shallows as to protect themselves from larger predators, and like said above they do breath air also. Mine is very comfortable near the surface. I have taken advantage of this to start hand feeding it and getting it used to interacting with me.
That's weird, mine stuck to the bottom unless moving around. Which was probably why my syno nailed him but never injured the busier senegals. Strange stuff

Reactions: twentyleagues

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for the offer but im in ontario great tank though what do you think would be better frogbit or duck weed?

Oh if you were close I could give you a bucket full of those today. I will be doing maintenance today and I'll throw out another 5gal bucket full of frog bit.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That's weird, mine stuck to the bottom unless moving around. Which was probably why my syno nailed him but never injured the busier senegals. Strange stuff
My other three don't really do it now that they are grown. And obviously I didn't have Udon when she was small so I don't know for sure. Maybe next time magpie magpie drops in she can let us know for certain?

Reactions: Hendre

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
my big one who is 3 inchs sticks to the top but my little guy about 2.5inch stays to the bottom and loves to nap i his pvc pipe lol

My other three don't really do it now that they are grown. And obviously I didn't have Udon when she was small so I don't know for sure. Maybe next time magpie magpie drops in she can let us know for certain?

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks for the offer but im in ontario great tank though what do you think would be better frogbit or duck weed?
Frog bit for sure. I have a bunch of tanks with it and it does well. I hate duckweed so messy. Miniature water lettuce is a thing also that would be good. I've recently gotten ahold of some red root floaters they are growing slowly but not very red. The lights I'm using are not very strong though.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
any kind of floaters are hard to find here have not seen them yet but tbh have not really been looking
I used to "sell" big bags of frog bit and mini water lettuce to a couple lfs. The one I sub at from time to time has embraced the covid thing hard core and requires multiple things to go inside. Sorry I'm not driving an hour to deal with that atm so....and they are also not taking things in from hobbiests right now either. The other one I've been shopping at for over 30 years and have sold mbuna, clown fish, corals and my floaters promoted a person to management that is very strict on plants. She says because Michigan has a ban on certain frog bits she doesn't trust any except from plant whole salers. She blew up on the owner when he traded some from me a couple years ago. I've been dealing with him forever lol. So yeah I just throw it out in my "compost" heap.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
sucks but cant imagine you got much for the plants but I guess it would help cover food and stuff that is what I plan to do with my JD fry
Yup that's all that's why I said "sell" they would basically just let me take a pack of frozen or give me half off of a thing of food. Usually like $5 credit or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store