New setup advice for my lil man, pretty please

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
I mean everyone has his own bacteria in filters, just a matter of having a steady tank already and a good giant ass filter XD

Uvc as in light right? i mean i have heard about it but unless you only feed life caught food you arent gone run into diseases or parasites so easily.

Never really had tank mates with snakeheads but then i found these two paradise fish. They also need seasons and are out of the same area as the snakehead. They are quite aggressive, they dont attack the snakehead but they dont flee aswell. And that leaves the snakehead kinda confused, and after being confused for a bit he decided to leave them alone. That was around 4 months ago so im guessing its gone be fine even when summer comes.
Yeah that's true, I like the idea of bacteria transplant is all. I separate all my tanks,different equipment etc. So maybe when my solely planted one is stabilized I'll try it!

Yes as in light, but it's a bulb inside of a canister and some connect it to their main filter, some have it as a separate hang-on filter. Can't see the light or anything.
Had a bit of a scare a while back when it seemed the tank had gotten fungus into it, so took the safe route just to exclude things beyond my control.
I feed live stuff sometimes. So for that too.
Though I'll always quarantine food and plants for him before they go to his tank.

Hahaaaa! I'd understand his confusion, you either run or end up dinner so good for the group I guess. Nice looking tank btw?

• Love
Reactions: neko1

Dixiedog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2022
England
I hadn't read about they are prone to bacterial infection ilk higher temps, but makes sense of course. Do you know what kind or how it manifests?
I'm going to lower my temp but slooooowly as to not shock him, but just in case he would get an infection, would like to be prepared.
There's a gap for mine to come up of course but trying to mimic seasons with less light and higher water level.
Interesting setup with the open top and the fans! Very inventive???
Does your Channa still come up for air despite it being so dry?
Or do you have an air pump? Which months do you keep it at 18 if you don't mind me asking? And do you use uvc?
I'd like to try this method! Especially since it's harder to keep some floating plants alive if it's lidded.
I don't know what causes the infection ,but I know if they get it they die,as for temps...
Yes he still gulps air and it doesn't seem to be a problem that it is dry air...
I don't have an air pump just a small external filter and I have very little surface movement
I don't keep at a strict 18c some days it may go up or down a little bit and as the weather starts to warm up so will the water,I usually only use fans in winter when the central heating is on and when it very hot in summer.......if you are going to go lidless please make sure he cannot escape......drop the water or use egg crate

Reactions: BobsBitchyBottom

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
I don't know what causes the infection ,but I know if they get it they die,as for temps...
Yes he still gulps air and it doesn't seem to be a problem that it is dry air...
I don't have an air pump just a small external filter and I have very little surface movement
I don't keep at a strict 18c some days it may go up or down a little bit and as the weather starts to warm up so will the water,I usually only use fans in winter when the central heating is on and when it very hot in summer.......if you are going to go lidless please make sure he cannot escape......drop the water or use egg crate
Oh ok. I appreciate the information!
I know fungal infections are common with them.
Makes sense to keep it stable by letting it adapt to the air temperature.
I'll invest in fans for summer for sure?
Will go lower water in summer but will also not go literally. going to fasten strong mesh to glass panes and secure them with clips and/or weight to the tank top.
Though I've not yet experienced him trying to jump other than when the water quality has been bad, and never let it get to that since.
Even so, yeah wouldn't risk it.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
i hear my snakehead jump against the lit maybe 8 times a week at night.
Kinda weird that you never experienced him jumping but lucky you i guess. I hear him at night jumping and then i hear silence and i know he is still in the tank but i gotta check otherwise i cant sleep because i keep thinking about it. so then i get up... love him but he is exhausting XD

Reactions: BobsBitchyBottom

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
i hear my snakehead jump against the lit maybe 8 times a week at night.
Kinda weird that you never experienced him jumping but lucky you i guess. I hear him at night jumping and then i hear silence and i know he is still in the tank but i gotta check otherwise i cant sleep because i keep thinking about it. so then i get up... love him but he is exhausting XD
Haha!
Well as I said it has happened but only his first night in the tank, when chasing guest appearances, or when the water parameters have been off.
The last one I haven't let happen since. But I was the same when it did happen, had to get up and make sure he was still in there.
They are a lot of work!
I'd imagine yours is chasing his roomies at night too?

Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Haha!
Well as I said it has happened but only his first night in the tank, when chasing guest appearances, or when the water parameters have been off.
The last one I haven't let happen since. But I was the same when it did happen, had to get up and make sure he was still in there.
They are a lot of work!
I'd imagine yours is chasing his roomies at night too?
maybe but he leaves them alone actually. He kinda hates them, even gets mad when i feed them and not him. They actually make feeding him easier, i just feed the paradise fish and mister snakehead gets jealous and keeps scaring them off until i feed him first.

I thought that either : he is getting air but just going to hard swimming up?
Or maybe a fly who flies over the tank or something (im not even sure if they have good eye sight at night)

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
maybe but he leaves them alone actually. He kinda hates them, even gets mad when i feed them and not him. They actually make feeding him easier, i just feed the paradise fish and mister snakehead gets jealous and keeps scaring them off until i feed him first.

I thought that either : he is getting air but just going to hard swimming up?
Or maybe a fly who flies over the tank or something (im not even sure if they have good eye sight at night)
I fkn love that they have such big grumpy personalities!
It could be a fly, sure. When they go up for air they'll not go that hard.
Usually they'll jump for 2 reasons: dislodge a bug from a branch above,or:
They want out cause the water tastes bad/ is icky somehow.
Do you test your water regularly to make sure everything is stable? Nitrite, ph, not too high nitrate etc?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I fkn love that they have such big grumpy personalities!
It could be a fly, sure. When they go up for air they'll not go that hard.
Usually they'll jump for 2 reasons: dislodge a bug from a branch above,or:
They want out cause the water tastes bad/ is icky somehow.
Do you test your water regularly to make sure everything is stable? Nitrite, ph, not too high nitrate etc?
noo actually i never test unless its a new tank were i wane put in fishes. My country has one of the cleanest water of the world,( i think) so i can just use tapwater. I do test water when a fish is sick or dies but the last time that happened was 2 years ago with a new fish i bought that died the day after.
I do waterchanges every week and water always looks good. Got a lot of plants and do change the filter every half year or something with charcoal. Maybe i should? but i feel like every tank will be fine, i dont really feel the need to test it since they all lowly stocked or have a massive filter system. Do you think i should test the tank?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
130cm tank for fire and ice channa? I mean there’s nothing wrong, but it would look absolutely empty…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store