new strange fish labled as fresh water red tails cudas

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wouldn’t call them rare. Do see them stocked when in season.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
one is 4 inches so i am guessing these are adults? probably male and female wild caught. If they were more common they would be godo mini monsters for people who want pike like fish that stay tiny? We all would love odeo and gars and whatevs but for some or MOST of us they arent practical for 150 gallon tanks. There is so much id love, but i am limited. I think my most monster king is gulper. Not cause of his size but cause of his ability lol He has a 4 foot tank he does not even use.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
The cuda is likely isalinae as it has double black line. The bottom line looks faded out.

Nastasus has one black line. A. minimus is even rarer also has a faint single black stripe. The difference in these two are scale counts and gill rakers. Likely too small to count on small fish.

Been googling not much is on these or marble gars do you know of places i can read more?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Been googling not much is on these or marble gars do you know of places i can read more?
There isn’t much info out there on them unfortunately. Their behavior is similar to other pike characins.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It's worth noting that tetras and characins are the same thing. "Tetra" means four. With only a few rare exceptions, all characins have four paired fins and four unpaired fins, which is how the term tetra became applied to them.

I'm inclined to agree that the subject fish of the OP is isalinae.

That thing is the only fish in this thread that's not a tetra. That's a false gar, Xenentodon cancila, from Asia. It inhabits much the same type of habitat as the true gars, but is not related to the characins.

Moved to Other Characins

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store