New tank catastrophe :(

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
When i 1st read it i though of the original 325 and though what a shame he just set it up, only to realize this tank is even newer. You have on great lfs brother. Over here they would have changed the phone number
Yeah they've been really good about it thankfully. This is the 3rd tank I've bought from them (115/325/325), so it was wise of them, they've kept instead of lost a customer who'll spend more.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow. That’s crazy. Looks like a tile flooring which is a bonus. Glad the aro didn’t get too fussy.

I had a 30 g start leaking at midnight in my room. It took us till 330-4 am to get it all sorted out and the carpet mostly dried out. Had to work a few hrs after that. Was so pissed, almost gave up the hobby but my wife talked me off the ledge. Lol.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Wow! Just crazy wow!!!

Did they ever determine the cause?

That’s some scary stuff right there, new tank and bam leaking...

Glad the aro was not a victim

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wow. That’s crazy. Looks like a tile flooring which is a bonus. Glad the aro didn’t get too fussy.

I had a 30 g start leaking at midnight in my room. It took us till 330-4 am to get it all sorted out and the carpet mostly dried out. Had to work a few hrs after that. Was so pissed, almost gave up the hobby but my wife talked me off the ledge. Lol.
Yeah Matt, luckily it's a tiled floor, about the only place you'll find carpeting here is in (some) hotels :) But glad you listened to your wife, great that she was supportive about it.

Wow! Just crazy wow!!!

Did they ever determine the cause?

That’s some scary stuff right there, new tank and bam leaking...

Glad the aro was not a victim
Thx Babyblue, they haven't told me anything yet about the cause, I'll go to the shop in a couple of days to buy some goods and have a chat with them, I'll certainly update the thread with that info if they find anything relatively conclusive.

Reactions: Matteus

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Sorry to hear buddy. Be grateful that you were at the right place at that time, and the Fish is fine. The fish will be fine moving around tanks of different sizes.

I think its a levelling issue, to have a bottom glass crack. Is there something underneath the thermocol sheets?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sorry to hear buddy. Be grateful that you were at the right place at that time, and the Fish is fine. The fish will be fine moving around tanks of different sizes.

I think its a levelling issue, to have a bottom glass crack. Is there something underneath the thermocol sheets?
Appreciate your as usual encouraging words narayanang76, and yes luckily it was the BBXB, as she's way, way calmer and more relaxed than the GHXB.

Under the foam sheet is a .5 cm thick sheet of wood that is screwed down to the metal stand. But I think you're probably right, one way or another it probably came down to a leveling issue.

The only other possibility I can think of is: when they delivered and installed the stand & tank, I noticed the back glass panel overlapped nearly .5 cm on one corner -- you could feel it easily. When I asked them about it at the time they said, "It's ok, don't worry." If this panel was simply longer than the front panel, then it might be ok (I think). But if it was the same size as the front panel, then that could only mean that the side glass panel was in too far where it met the back panel. But I never measured it and compared, just went with their word that it was fine. Again not sure this was the issue but just a possibility.

All of that said, I think in actuality it probably came down to hubris -- the fact is I really, really didn't need a second Arowana (and a second 325), in hindsight it's almost laughable how I justified it at the time. So I think the aquatic deities were just putting me in my place...trumpets and townsfolk, lol.

Last edited:

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Damn man sorry to hear this happened... everyones worst fears
Nope, worst fears if a completely filled 325 tank and finding out it's cracked and no back-up tank whatsoever ; - )

Joking aside, it sounded like the best possible outcome given the situation for Islandguy and his aro.

Reactions: islandguy11

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Whoa!!!
Lucky you were at home when that happened, bless the tiles floors, just mop and wipe and you're good to go.

I faced a similar issue, after I got the flat re-tiled and a few renovations, moved the tanks back in, was tired after all the moving in, woke up next morning and I see the tank is crystal clear and the aurantimaculata just sitting on the gravel, I am like how did the water clear up just overnight, and then it hit me, luckily had a spare tank, and repaired the tank the same evening.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store