New tank cycle confusion

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I hate to break it to you but your wrong. Dr Tim's and ATM Colony and others have a very solid track record of working. I have used these products myself and cycled large tanks 75g in 5-7 days. If the products didn't work than how is this possible. Keep in mind filters new, new substrate, new tanks, new everything!

With that said these products require ammonia to be present so the bacterial can feed on. So it WILL NOT stop ammonia and nitrite levels. The idea is that with a limited stock (few fish) and limited feedings (once every 3-4 days) and keeping a close eye on parameters the fish will be me okay with a trace amount of ammonia and or nitrites for a few days in order to achieve the fully cycled tank.

This is why you should use a more known robust species to do this with, delicate species will still die with small amounts of nitrites or ammonia and should't be used.

Another HUGE problem with this situation is that MOST hobbyist who use these products are also putting fish right from the pet store in these newly setup tanks. Even a hard species like a danio or platy will have a struggle making it. WHY you ask? well because you are not taking a healthy prime specimen, but rather a weak stressed out fish that just went through hell to come home to a uncycled tank. With healthy stock you generally won't have any issues.

Also forgot to mention that for these products to work there is more to it than just pouring it in. PH should be 7.5-8 ideally and temps should remain close to 80f good flow is a must and there has to be some amount of ammonia present. make sure you check the expiration dates on the bottles as the do have a shelf life. The date doesn't mean its good either. The storage must be done correctly or else the bacteria dies in the bottle. Many variables here but if done right IT DOES WORK.

I will challenge anyone who wants to do a fast cycle without seeded media while using live stock right away. lets see who can beat me. I have done it several times in 5-7 days from nothing to a full cycle and NO DEAD FISH each time.
We can agree to disagree. For every 1 person that claims it works, a dozen will say it doesn't. This holds true for fresh or salt water.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
no we can't. I have proved it and will prove it against any naysayer. Like i said there is a whole wack of reasons it may not work but its not the products fault its generally user error or poor stocking methods which cause the product to go bad.

But to flat our call it snake oil is wrong and I won't let you discredit products which I can PROVE they work. Have you even used them before? if so you have no real hands on experience and that to me makes anything your say just hear say and not really valid.

Its like saying anyone who tries something but can't get the results they want automatically makes a product junk. This is simply not true. time you do some testing for yourself.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Here's a slight update, I went to a lfs on the way home from work. I bought biomax to replace the media I took out of the shrimp nano. I also got a feeder goldfish, another bottle of instant cycle if need be but have not used it. I also asked for some of the filter floss they had in their tanks and he gave me that as well. When I came home I noticed two of the Pygmy puffers still alive but seemingly having a hard time. The goldfish on the other hand has been in the tank 4 hours with no signs of stress or rapid gill movement. Even started eating. Hopefully the goldfish will get everything started up and the old filter floss will start seeding the filter even more so.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I just tested the water again the results follow, ammonia looks like it's in between 0-.25. The nitrite is 0 and the nitrate looks like it's between 0-5.0

IMG_1348.JPG

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
no we can't. I have proved it and will prove it against any naysayer. Like i said there is a whole wack of reasons it may not work but its not the products fault its generally user error or poor stocking methods which cause the product to go bad.

But to flat our call it snake oil is wrong and I won't let you discredit products which I can PROVE they work. Have you even used them before? if so you have no real hands on experience and that to me makes anything your say just hear say and not really valid.

Its like saying anyone who tries something but can't get the results they want automatically makes a product junk. This is simply not true. time you do some testing for yourself.

Screenshot_2017-02-27-20-30-10.png

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ

I don't want to derail the thread, but feel free to create a separate thread and we can debate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store