New tank & cycling parameters

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
To all: have 11days into cycle. Checking water: high pH (8.5-9.0)
Temp 77.8-78.8
Ammonia: 8.0 ppm or higher for 2 days
Nitrite: 0. (didn't see need to check for nitrate as Ammonia high & no nitrite)
Am using SeaChem prime2caps 1st day & 1cap last 2 days
I know it hasn't cycled because of values above. Am getting active bio-sponge filter also.
Should I be thinking about a water change? Or should I use Bio-filter & keep checking values first?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
I'm not adding ammonia directly. I was doing fishless cycle . . . But: a sweet friend decided to gift me 5 goldfish (I know). To save them, I had to keep them, so they're in the tank.
Didn't I intend to do it this way. Now I'm under the gun because of living fish. I've used tank start stuff & bio agents available. Then was told to use the prime (SeaChem) to keep the fish safe. You saw the parameters --they're awful! Hoping they'll improve due to nitrogen cycle.
I'm getting setup sponge filter with live bio. Should I put that in tank & test or do water change or both? And how much water change with Python & using water from tap. Also have Prime & water conditioner, but no "stability". I just know that all values say tank is not yet cycled.
Thanks for all the help.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You should be keeping the ammonia no higher than 0.25ppm with a fish in cycle. This would mean a 100% water change, and then letting it creep up, assuming you have 0ppm ammonia from tap.

What's the ammonia from your tap?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Don't know about levels in tap water, but will check. How can I do that large a water change with nowhere else to put fish?
Now I'm kinda panicked and feeling like a big idiot (with a big heart)! Will check tap parameters & report that. Thanks so much-beginning to wonder about my abilities for this. Love my new fish & don't want them to die.

Reactions: tlindsey

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
All you need is a used filter from a heathy well established tank. I have set up so many tanks years ago that had so many “cycling” problems. Then about 12–15 years ago I started taking dirty filters from well established tanks to cycle newly set up tanks and I never had a cycling issue again. Forget all the fancy expensive bottled bacteria. Go with a dirty filter.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Don't know about levels in tap water, but will check. How can I do that large a water change with nowhere else to put fish?
Now I'm kinda panicked and feeling like a big idiot (with a big heart)! Will check tap parameters & report that. Thanks so much-beginning to wonder about my abilities for this. Love my new fish & don't want them to die.
Fin level (water line above dorsal fin) water change will get you close to there. You might have to do an extra fin level water change afterwards to get it below 0.25ppm. Make sure water temperature is close and add enough water conditioner for the entire tank, 50% before, and 50% halfway through.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
All you need is a used filter from a heathy well established tank. I have set up so many tanks years ago that had so many “cycling” problems. Then about 12–15 years ago I started taking dirty filters from well established tanks to cycle newly set up tanks and I never had a cycling issue again. Forget all the fancy expensive bottled bacteria. Go with a dirty filter.
I'm supposed to get 2 of the "dirty" filters by tomorrow @ the latest. One person suggested "fin level" WC. How can I do that with 1" gifted goldfish? I know all my parameters are too high. (except nitrite & nitrate)
Should I also test tap H2O?
I definitely feel over my head right now! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Don't need to panic you have very experienced members here and great you came here for guidance. If you become a active member you will be giving help instead of receiving it. Believe me you will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store