New tank & cycling parameters

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm supposed to get 2 of the "dirty" filters by tomorrow @ the latest. One person suggested "fin level" WC. How can I do that with 1" gifted goldfish? I know all my parameters are too high. (except nitrite & nitrate)
Should I also test tap H2O?
I definitely feel over my head right now! Thanks everyone.
I wouldn't use the term dirty but bio media from a well established aquarium with healthy fish in it. You can ask a friend or maybe a LFS could give you some. This btw will not instantly cycle your aquarium but jump start it or add more beneficial bacteria to the colony that's already populated. If you don't want to bother with this just follow what Rocksor Rocksor has suggested already.

Reactions: dr exum

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Checked tap & tank again.
Tap: 0 Ammonia
ph 7.4 didn't check anything else

Tank: temp 78.1
pH 7.6 with oH test 7.6--8.0
Ammonia: 8.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm (as I thought it would be)
Added SeaChemPrime 1/2 cap
I'm getting "dirty" filter tomorrow. Should I do a P WC before then with ammonia level so high?Gifted goldfish seem to be doing well; they're eating, pooping, swimming, active.
Another ??: will that high an ammonia level destroy nitrifying bacteria in the sponge filters? I'm really trying to understand it all as I'll now have 5 goldfish to put in another tank after I get my flowerhorn.
Thanks for the boost to my ability/support. You folks here are some kind of awesome.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
I wouldn't use the term dirty but bio media from a well established aquarium with healthy fish in it. You can ask a friend or maybe a LFS could give you some. This btw will not instantly cycle your aquarium but jump start it or add more beneficial bacteria to the colony that's already populated. If you don't want to bother with this just follow what Rocksor Rocksor has suggested already.
Sorry didn't quite know what term! I realize that bio is not instant fix; will be able to get them tomorrow. Problem is what to do now as I don't know how to do a fin-level WC. Or even if I need to. Just know the ammonia level really is bad. Thanks everyone

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
A fin level water change means to remove the water in the aquarium until it above the top fin of the fish. Do it NOW, do not wait. Be sure the new water is about the same temperature as the aquarium water.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
A fin level water change means to remove the water in the aquarium until it above the top fin of the fish. Do it NOW, do not wait. Be sure the new water is about the same temperature as the aquarium water.
If they are all 1" fish & go from bottom to top of the tank as far as their location, how can that possibly tell me how much water? This is something I just don't understand. And water temp & conditioner will be dependant on temp out of python & satchel prime added to the water on a it is going into tank my livemedia sponge I can get today.
I'm very torn on what advice to take. Everyone says something different.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
How can I do that large a water change with nowhere else to put fish?
To answer this, Rocksor told you to change as much water a s possible, till fish remain submerged in water, that would be equal to height of the fish. I assume you get hot and cold water from tap, you will have to set the tap at temperature such that water would be similar to what's in the tank.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Don't need to panic you have very experienced members here and great you came here for guidance. If you become a active member you will be giving help instead of receiving it. Believe me you will be fine.
you seem very knowledgeable & calm. What would you do? You can read my latest thread. Thanks

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Use python water changer to drain all the water until it is barely above the fish. The fish will go down and touch the bottom of the substrate as the water goes down. So basically force the fish to be lying on top of the substrate.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If they are all 1" fish & go from bottom to top of the tank as far as their location, how can that possibly tell me how much water? This is something I just don't understand. And water temp & conditioner will be dependant on temp out of python & satchel prime added to the water on a it is going into tank my livemedia sponge I can get today.
I'm very torn on what advice to take. Everyone says something different.
The advice of the removing fin level is the correct call because your Ammonia level is at lethal reading. You can add the Prime and fill the aquarium with the Python at the same time just make sure temperature matches the water removed.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
To answer this, Rocksor told you to change as much water a s possible, till fish remain submerged in water, that would be equal to height of the fish. I assume you get hot and cold water from tap, you will have to set the tap at temperature such that water would be similar to what's in the tank.
so amount of water is equal to fish height. That's less than an inch. So I can do that. Yes tap is normal H/C water. So check water from tap for temp after connecting python before going into tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store