New tank & cycling parameters

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
so amount of water is equal to fish height. That's less than an inch. So I can do that. Yes tap is normal H/C water. So check water from tap for temp after connecting python before going into tank?
The remaining water in the tank is equal to the fish's height while sitting on top of the substrate.

Check water temperature before it goes into the tank.

Make sure heater is unplugged. Plug heater back in when completely done.

Reactions: Ruturaj

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes don't forget to dose with Prime.
Once your aquarium is fully Cycled and all Parameters are stable you will need to test your water before water changes so you can figure out exactly how much water to remove each time bi-weekly or weekly. Also this is very important during adding fish, feeding, and as fish grow.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
So the consensus is pretty much drain 55 gallon of water from tank with Fish inside. Am I right? Not doubting, just want to get it right. I'm doing this completely by myself too.(disabled) Just seems like a lot to do to the fish at one time: temp, pH, and all other changes.
Like I said: want to get it right before I do it. Is this mostly to remove the ammonia?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So the consensus is pretty much drain 55 gallon of water from tank with Fish inside. Am I right? Not doubting, just want to get it right. I'm doing this completely by myself too.(disabled) Just seems like a lot to do to the fish at one time: temp, pH, and all other changes.
Like I said: want to get it right before I do it. Is this mostly to remove the ammonia?
Yes Mam.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yes to remove as much ammonia as much as possible by removing as much water as possible and replacing with cleaner water. Test your tap water for ammonia so you know how low it can go. If you can get your hands in the aquarium, you can easily feel the temperature of the water from the python and the tank water in order to gauge if it is close enough in temp.

Reactions: tlindsey

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Goldfish don't require a heater if you didn't know this.
Yes to remove as much ammonia as much as possible by removing as much water as possible and replacing with cleaner water. Test your tap water for ammonia so you know how low it can go. If you can get your hands in the aquarium, you can easily feel the temperature of the water from the python and the tank water in order to gauge if it is close enough in temp.
I'll retest for ammonia but I believe test read 0 for tap water. Thermometer in tank reads 78.1 so I figure a bit of warm water with cold. I can check it with extra thermometer I suppose. Am a bit unsure as only me & 2 hands.unsure
Okay, looks like I have a days worth of water work to do. I'll have to get all my supplies ready, take a deep breath, & go for it. Will have to check on my 86 YO dad before I'm up to my elbows in water. & get off the net!
Thanks for all the great advice & much patience. Y'all are awesome! : )))

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store