New tank & cycling parameters

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
See I would be trying to fit rings in there with the cartridge still in there. So turn it off, remove catridge, & then try the rings. If they fit in there, how do I know I have enough in the filter? And won't that make the whole thing like rattle or something? tlindsey, I'm gonna have to start posting pics! Lol
Thanks again for all the help; may seem easy to you, but I'm often lost, as you can see.
Going to go find my Dad a Roku tv. He's 86 & really bored right now. Gotta take care of him too, & glad of it!
PeaceLoveFish?✌
If you have a tray and fill it shouldn't rattle.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
See, I must just be totally goofy. I need to show a pic, but I'm using Fire tablet. I just took a pic of the HOB filter. Gonna try to attach file. WML

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hey, I did it! It's an aqua tech 30/60 HOB. OMG, I just posted my wall on the web! Amazingly weird! I'm officially a nerd--hmm, cool.
Now, lift the top off & remove a cartridge from one side? I'm leaning towards putting it in the bag on the tank bottom! I think I also need to compare my first pics of the Fishy Five to one's I am going to take.???

Reactions: tlindsey

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hello all!
I think I'm at an empass with the tank, & think I know what to do, but need assurance. My pH is still hanging @ about 6.8; have used 1/2 dose (50 drops) of pH up so as not to bring it up much @ a time.
Then ammonia is still hanging @ .50 ppm, so still using Prime.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 ppm. I'm trying really hard not to overfeed the Fishy Five; they're literally growing @ an exponential rate. Feeder fish indeed; I think no one told them that.
(((((((tlindsey: I'm gonna have to get a pic of them! I can't believe it. . . )))))))))
My next hurdle is trying to make a drip cord bundle that I'm comfortable with. Two of the cords want to be noncompliant with the other loop! (House only had one 2 prong plug for the wall I'm using. Used flat surge that's abt. 2-2 1/2" off floor. ).
√√√√√√oh yeah: Aqueon 300 watt heater is a good one, but the cord sucks. It's way too short; barely reached the wall plug in & I went back to preset 78° Aqueon 200watt. ***I know the Goldfish Posse isn't supposed to need heater, but water temp is one of their consistent water values.*****√√√√
Now back to my previous rant. I ordered the Python hook & 36" gravel attchmt. because my arm went into the tank with PWC's. Also going to get more tanks Friday (petco tank sale too 4/18/2020) & need to set up. If flowerhorns grow this fast, I'll need more room for it/them quickly too.
I know, now I'm really rambling! I've got the bio media filters (2 large) in tank for 12 days. If ammonia & Nitrate still @ above levels, should I keep waiting for 0/0/0 before starting a new tank with that media?(Also gonna put in bags of ceramic rings; afraid I'll break HOB filter.)
I have 2 more large bio filters to use in a new tank, but know that might not be enough. I think the Fishy Five may be residing in a 40G or the 55 for now. Still want flowerhorn though. I don't want to endanger either the Posse or a new fish with bad tank parameters.
Again y'all: what should I do next? I think more water changes for one
Keep strict feeding for the Fishy Five
Keep adding Prime after that I'm unsure.
Longest post in history! Sorry? Hope every1's well.
PeaceLoveFish???

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hope you're all doing well. Haven't gotten any notifications today &'checked in with one of you. Where's everyone?
As a newbie, I'd like to share something cool with you all, but Uggg . . .I can't remember how to start posting with a new thread.
As always: much Iove & respect from the Fishy Five (who I swear are going to be the size of a cichlid by next week).
PeaceLoveFish??✌??

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't use pH up, add some crushed corals in tank. Goldfish produce too much waste, that's why they need larger tank (to dilute nitrate) and filter (to process ammonia and nitrite). You should not need heater, changing temperature is okay as they happen in nature as well. Flowerhorn won't grow as fast as goldfish.

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Thanks so much for such a clear explaination! Also was told awhile ago (earlier today) that very thing about the filter only being to control ammonia & nitrite. (That the filtration would never directly minimize nitrate.)
Seems as though water changes are the answer to high level s (they're little poop machines) & that goldfish can be even more challenging than f!owerhorns! Everyone seems to be low on crushed corals right now, but will keep checking (what about ebay?)
I think I'm doing something right; they're growing really fast. It's only been 17 days & they've all at least doubled in size. How long before they're a foot long? A couple of months?
Goodnight to all & to all a great fish! Over & out from the Five in Alabama.
PeaceLoveFish✌??

Reactions: tlindsey

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Thanks so much for such a clear explaination! Also was told awhile ago (earlier today) that very thing about the filter only being to control ammonia & nitrite. (That the filtration would never directly minimize nitrate.)
Seems as though water changes are the answer to high level s (they're little poop machines) & that goldfish can be even more challenging than f!owerhorns! Everyone seems to be low on crushed corals right now, but will keep checking (what about ebay?)
I think I'm doing something right; they're growing really fast. It's only been 17 days & they've all at least doubled in size. How long before they're a foot long? A couple of months?
Goodnight to all & to all a great fish! Over & out from the Five in Alabama.
PeaceLoveFish✌??
There are alternatives, like crushed oyster shell to crushed corals.

The actual nitrogen cycle exists in nature, fish produce ammonia, ammonia is converted to nitrites, nitrites are converted to nitrates, plants absorb all, fish eats plant. In our aquarium we can't run the whole cycle. We take part of it, we use beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites and then nitrites to nitrate. We do water changes to take nitrates out.

Can't be sure about growth, it can slow down with water params.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store