New Tank Setup Need Help!!!

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
A pacu is ridiculous for that tank also.

If you're wanting any of the fish you asking about then you need a tank at least 10x6", if not larger.

Your tank is a large tank, but tiny in comparison to these fish. At a stretch your could get couple rays and arowana, but you'd have to sell them them when they get larger, however cats and pacu are ridiculous.

Daniyaal Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2017
Rays and aro should work, Balas should be ok but you may encounter problems with them and the aro. Anything in the aros territory could be killed so upper 1/2 of tank depending on its attitude (the arro), or if its a meek aro they could cause it to bolt hurting itself or jumping out of tank. In reality arowana should be kept in a much larger tank if you are going to keep it with tank mates, or by itself. As stated above you need a different tank foot print and probably larger if you want to keep all that. Say more like 8'x3'x4'. Footprint = how much floor space the tank will occupy so in my description 8x4. The only part I disagree on is the height part with an arowana, they like the top part of the tank so depth is a concern. What do you want most of the fish? Pick your top 2 and we will see if it works with tank and mates.
Thanks mate. If you see top 2 fish thn it would be Silver Arowana and Stingrays.

I am planning a driftwood and pool sand as substrate for these rays.

8x3x4 is ok but On the wall I am planning it doesnt have 8ft lenght maybe I can go with 7x3x4 how do you see it..

Daniyaal Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2017
A pacu is ridiculous for that tank also.

If you're wanting any of the fish you asking about then you need a tank at least 10x6", if not larger.

Your tank is a large tank, but tiny in comparison to these fish. At a stretch your could get couple rays and arowana, but you'd have to sell them them when they get larger, however cats and pacu are ridiculous.
thanks man I am a noob in these large tanks. so with rays and arowana what do you suggest ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So lets put some perspective on this.
Silver arowana max adult size 47 inches! can be obtained in as little as 3 years! typical size in appropriate aquarium min size would need to be double length and 1.5x width that's a minimum and they reach 36-42" regularly so 8'x4' would be an absolute minimum and not ideal at all.
Motoro stingray 36" max adult size and regularly hits 24" in aquarium slower growing but still pretty big fish oh sizes are in diameter! rays need a different set up instead of 2x and 1.5x max size you need to cube max diameter 3x so a 6'x6' minimum tank size for a ray, not ideal at all. That wont do for both ray and aro so you get answers like 10'x6' with a depth of somewhere in the 30"-40" zone, better but really? These die in the hands of seasoned keepers all the time. Not fish for Noobs as you put it.
These fish are awesome! I want rays and aro myself. I have had 2000+ gallons of salt water in my house at 1 time running in one huge system ive kept hard to keep salt and fresh water species alive , Ive propagated all kinds of corals, Ive bred clowns, Africa cichlids, hatched shark eggs and cared for those smaller species long term. I could set up a huge tank and keep rays and aro and I still may loose them based off of time or fragility or a million other reasons.
Stick with your plan get the size tank you can put in the spot you have and get some appropriate sized and hardy species that you'd like. Keep them long term and see what the maintenance is like. Try keeping your water pristine less the 20 ppm nitrate no ammonia no nitrite. Ph no higher then 7.2 long term. Then double you efforts and you will be ready for stingrays and arowana. I'm not. I know it sounds kinda harsh but this is a life you hold in your hands is it fair to give them the minimum?

Daniyaal Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2017
So lets put some perspective on this.
Silver arowana max adult size 47 inches! can be obtained in as little as 3 years! typical size in appropriate aquarium min size would need to be double length and 1.5x width that's a minimum and they reach 36-42" regularly so 8'x4' would be an absolute minimum and not ideal at all.
Motoro stingray 36" max adult size and regularly hits 24" in aquarium slower growing but still pretty big fish oh sizes are in diameter! rays need a different set up instead of 2x and 1.5x max size you need to cube max diameter 3x so a 6'x6' minimum tank size for a ray, not ideal at all. That wont do for both ray and aro so you get answers like 10'x6' with a depth of somewhere in the 30"-40" zone, better but really? These die in the hands of seasoned keepers all the time. Not fish for Noobs as you put it.
These fish are awesome! I want rays and aro myself. I have had 2000+ gallons of salt water in my house at 1 time running in one huge system ive kept hard to keep salt and fresh water species alive , Ive propagated all kinds of corals, Ive bred clowns, Africa cichlids, hatched shark eggs and cared for those smaller species long term. I could set up a huge tank and keep rays and aro and I still may loose them based off of time or fragility or a million other reasons.
Stick with your plan get the size tank you can put in the spot you have and get some appropriate sized and hardy species that you'd like. Keep them long term and see what the maintenance is like. Try keeping your water pristine less the 20 ppm nitrate no ammonia no nitrite. Ph no higher then 7.2 long term. Then double you efforts and you will be ready for stingrays and arowana. I'm not. I know it sounds kinda harsh but this is a life you hold in your hands is it fair to give them the minimum?
Thanks brother for your brief explanation. Let me search about more fish but I would ask you what kind of fish you suggest me to keep in that tank.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks brother for your brief explanation. Let me search about more fish but I would ask you what kind of fish you suggest me to keep in that tank.
Let me ask you this because I don't know you and youve not said a great deal about what you've kept. You have given a list of some of what you like. What have you kept? Do you prefer south americans, do you only like large fish?
think they may recommend guppies lol
I feel bad discouraging people. Who knows he may be a great fish parent but it sounds like he doesn't know a lot and I really want him to understand the scope of what those fish mean in sheer size not to mention amount of work needed in caring for them.
But you are correct there are some pretty SWEEEEEET guppies out there!

Daniyaal Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2017
Let me ask you this because I don't know you and youve not said a great deal about what you've kept. You have given a list of some of what you like. What have you kept? Do you prefer south americans, do you only like large fish?

I feel bad discouraging people. Who knows he may be a great fish parent but it sounds like he doesn't know a lot and I really want him to understand the scope of what those fish mean in sheer size not to mention amount of work needed in caring for them.
But you are correct there are some pretty SWEEEEEET guppies out there!
Thanks for your reply. Currently I am housing common and comet goldfish, angel fish, 2 white koi, 3 discus, cardinal tetras and 2 common plecos all of them are stil very small and in their grow out tanks.

But my interest is in these monster big fishes especially arowana and rays. water black diamond ray but i wanted to start with the common ones thn go for the rares that why silver arowana and moroto ray.

I know how hard can it be I have been in the hobby for last 10 years but never thought of these big fishes always been in these small looking fish.

So before I take any step I needed some professional advise.

Haha Guppies I am not very fond of them.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well unfortunately keeping these guys long term means a much larger tank then you have. If you are upgrading in the near future you may just want to wait and get the upgraded tank first and then get the monsters you want. Unfortunately its just not a good size tank for them long term. Oscars, Balas, Severums, jags, demps, large school of geos, lower jaw polypterus, not all these are monsters but look cool in large aquariums in larger numbers. Not sure on cats but J jaws7777 has some jag cats and vulture cats super cool looking not sure on size maybe he'll chime in.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I agree with all that has already been stated.

Thats a nice sized tank and you have lots of options. Depending on your final dimensions. There are aome pretty cool fish. Lowe jaw polypterus like endlicheri, lapradei, and so on would be a great fit. Im not a fan of silver dollar bit i would imagine a decent sized school ot metynis faciatus would look great.

Cats are really fun. Im growong out med sized cats atm juruense and vulture along with some jaguar cats (L.oncinus) jags wont be able to stay with the two larger cats long term though.

Other cool cats are tigs, apurensis (very cool monster looking cat) but tank mates need to be very large as they have huge mouths and huge appetites.

Best advice i could give is spend some time in the different sections decide on what you like then go to that specific section and get advice on the fish you chose along with possible tankmates.

Ask this question in the aro section i heard black aros get a little smaller and may work out for you.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store