New tank setup !!!!!!!!

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
the gourami might not make it long term, but with the oscar and dempsey you can evenatually keep them together as tankmates when you upgrade

silverdragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
DOWN UNDER!
www.myspace.com
Nice pick up dude!

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2087544; said:
the gourami might not make it long term, but with the oscar and dempsey you can evenatually keep them together as tankmates when you upgrade
there is actually two gouramis a paradise gourami and a gold gourami and they are making it just fine. they have been in a 29 gallon with the convict and dempsey and oscar for about 6 months I see no reason they wont continue to thrive in a larger environment especially seeing as how i am taking the oscar out because hes a jerk and he ate my bichir so now he will be going into a friends oscar tank.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
well my reason for concern is that there is a point where the oscar will be able to eat the gouramis, considering the growth rate

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
bluehairman;2087314; said:
umm have to burst your bubble, but you do realize that water doesn't cycle the tank, right?:screwy:
filter media, decorations, and substrate do. thats what the bacteria grows on. not in the water.
i think your crazy for the dempsey and the oscar. from experience. just wait a lil while.

ps. that dempsey is about to be food.

good deal for 10$ though. what a find:WHOA:
I appreciate your input but is there any education behind it? Not to be rude but the dempsey is too big for anything in the tank to even think about eating. Out of everything in the tank you think the dempsey will get eaten? ? What did you do put a baby dempsey in with a grown oscar?? anyway like ive said a few times in this thread the oscar is leaving today because the @$$#073 ate my bichir and after he is gone i see no problems arising anytime soon with the other fish in the tank, possibly in the longterm future the dempsey might become a pest to some other fish , but as for right now, the oscar leaving will settle most turmoil.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2087655; said:
well my reason for concern is that there is a point where the oscar will be able to eat the gouramis, considering the growth rate

hmmmm. im not trying to be an @$$ here but, and i quote myself , having said this numerous times, in this thread, and in my responses to you in particular at times " I AM TAKING THE OSCAR OUT TONIGHT!!!!!!"

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
I felt so bad for my Bichir that i had to go get a new ornament for the tank. See if you can spot it.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
so the oscar is gone now im gonna get a sen bichir tomorrow any suggestions on something else for the tank, so far i have a silver dollar a jack dempsey a rubber lip pleco a gold gourami a paradise gourami and a femal convict tomorrow i will add a senegal bichir and possibly something else if i get any cool suggestions , Its a fifty five gallon tank i think i might add a couple more plants and some bio vines too .

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Hdeuce;2087662; said:
I appreciate your input but is there any education behind it? Not to be rude but the dempsey is too big for anything in the tank to even think about eating. Out of everything in the tank you think the dempsey will get eaten? ? What did you do put a baby dempsey in with a grown oscar?? anyway like ive said a few times in this thread the oscar is leaving today because the @$$#073 ate my bichir and after he is gone i see no problems arising anytime soon with the other fish in the tank, possibly in the longterm future the dempsey might become a pest to some other fish , but as for right now, the oscar leaving will settle most turmoil.
oh sorry, i figured since it was a baby dempsey, the oscar would soon outgrow it and it would become food. you also didn't post the size so i assumed about maybe 3" and the oscar to be 8"
thats i missed you were getting rid of him. watch out tho, some jacks can get a temper, it might now be there at first, but it'll come around.

did you mean education behind the cycling? Nitrosomas and Nictrobacter (beneficial bacter) grow on decorations, sides of tank, and in filter media. not in the water itself. sure you'll most likely get some from the 30g's water, but not nearly enough.

i also wouldn't recommend getting anymore fish until you see how your dempsey turns out, wait a week and half if he still does good you could try getting something else to go with them.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
bluehairman;2088443; said:
oh sorry, i figured since it was a baby dempsey, the oscar would soon outgrow it and it would become food. you also didn't post the size so i assumed about maybe 3" and the oscar to be 8"
thats i missed you were getting rid of him. watch out tho, some jacks can get a temper, it might now be there at first, but it'll come around.

did you mean education behind the cycling? Nitrosomas and Nictrobacter (beneficial bacter) grow on decorations, sides of tank, and in filter media. not in the water itself. sure you'll most likely get some from the 30g's water, but not nearly enough.

i also wouldn't recommend getting anymore fish until you see how your dempsey turns out, wait a week and half if he still does good you could try getting something else to go with them.
no i meant the education behind demopsey and convicts not getting along alot of times they do as far as the cycling i meant that i moved all the substrate the decorations
and everything including the filter. so its fine. and the longer i leave the jack in the tank without introducing new fish the more aggressive he will be if i introduce the fish while he is still smallish they will have the chance too take there out niche in the tank which gives them a better chance of surviving. If i wait for the jack to become more comfortable he will be more territorial over his tank when i put new fish in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store