New tank syndrome

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
Why would I rehome the arowana? He's made it this far, I don't see why I would rehome him after three weeks. That option is out of the question. He has plenty of room for the next few months or so.

The ammonia lock converts the ammonia into a non toxic form, which is why I was told to use it. Considering the ammonia levels were so high, I figured it was necessary.

I did a pretty good water change today, hopefully that helps out with the cycle. Judging the time the aquarium and the stock, I should be reaching the end of the cycling process soon, right? I've been told it usually takes four to six weeks.::

After today I think the best plan of action is simply to sit back and wait..

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
You won’t know if your tank is cycled or not if you don’t test the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Even if you water goes clear that doesn’t imply a successful cycle.

If I were you I would continue with large daily water changes until you buy a kit, or test the water (if you already have a kit).

Don’t rely on the fish store to tell you your water is safe, or tests are good (most stores offer testing, but usually just the test strips, which are not very accurate) you will want to see the numbers for yourself.

Reactions: tlindsey

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
OP, You're a pet store's favorite kind of customer... The people here on this forum are not trying to sell you anything. They are trying to save your fish. The pet store will tell you anything to get you to buy more crap and they dont mind if their advice gets your fish killed because then you come back and buy more fish... The people who have responded to you are very experienced and wise in the ways of this hobby. Sorry to be a blunt jerk but you should listen to them instead of offering contradictions and resistance. They care about your fish because they love fish... Pet stores love money...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since no one else seems to have said this...

To speed up the cycle even more or dare i say even complete the cycle you could ask a fellow hobbyist / LFS for some bio-media from their tank if you know its clean / disease free...

That would have saved you a lot of headaches at the beginning and may not be a bad idea even now... just add on the extra HOB filter you have laying around and place said media in their to kick start your cycle...

This should also help properly colonize your original filters bacteria more quickly ;)

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally don't believe in using additives such as ammonia block etc.because it can complicate things even later on. Absolutely agree with everything that everyone else has suggested. Also noticed you stated you were prepared to upgrade for the Aro great to hear that. The Corydora may be a issue if the Aro decides to eat one they have spiney fins that could choke a young Aro.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Spend the funds now for that aro tank. Why wait a few months? The more water there is, the lower the ammonia and nitrite levels will be.

Reactions: tlindsey

koipie doll

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2013
milwaukee, wisconsin
OP, You're a pet store's favorite kind of customer... The people here on this forum are not trying to sell you anything. They are trying to save your fish. The pet store will tell you anything to get you to buy more crap and they dont mind if their advice gets your fish killed because then you come back and buy more fish... The people who have responded to you are very experienced and wise in the ways of this hobby. Sorry to be a blunt jerk but you should listen to them instead of offering contradictions and resistance. They care about your fish because they love fish... Pet stores love money...
I agree. The one investment I suggest is a good test kit. API makes a good one. It has everything to test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. It’s a bit pricey, but less than buying all those additives. I know because I did too. I think I paid about $30 for it. Besides that you get to play “mad chemist”. No, seriously if done daily it will help you monitor how the cycle is progressing, which will then tell you when to stop daily water changes. Make sure you test before you change water. I know the frequent changes are frustrating and a lot of extra work, but it’s worth it in the long run. Hang in there.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
every mom and pop place I ever been to will give you media or sell it I buy new filter media and they swap it for media in an established tank fastest and safest way to do it get a an old sponge from an aquaclear 110 just throw that in the tank and your present filters will suck up all the good stuff from an established tank been doing it this way every time I set up a new tank never had an issue with new tank syndrome

appleton71

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2018
Appleton, WI
I'm not sure if all ammonia blockers work the same way, but Seachem Prime only binds ammonia for 24-48 hours. If it isn't removed within that time period, it's released again, compounding your problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store