New tank syndrome

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
I'm not sure if all ammonia blockers work the same way, but Seachem Prime only binds ammonia for 24-48 hours. If it isn't removed within that time period, it's released again, compounding your problem.
The bottle says to dose every two days and then do a water change after seven days. Im going to do what you all suggested and continue daily water changes for now and continue dosing for the next seven days.

Reactions: Niki_up

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
I just completed another %40 water change. I'll test the water again this evening. It was off the chart this morning. I added more stability as well.

20180815_153419.jpg 20180815_153144.jpg 20180815_153102.jpg

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
So.. Discontinue using ammonia lock and continue with the %40 water changes and test ammonia daily and I should be alright soon? I'll let things stabilize in the aquarium since I just did the second large water change and then I'll test again this evening. Still very cloudy.

So, am I doing this correctly now?

20180815_153847.jpg

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
Day 3 Update

I've been following your directions. The tank has now been running nearly four weeks. The water is still very cloudy but seems to improve after each %40 water change I've done for the past three days. Ammonia levels are still Hugh but dropping. Should I continue with the daily water changes?

I really just would like to know how long this "cycle" is going to take. Its been an exhausting and expensive learning experience.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Day 3 Update

I've been following your directions. The tank has now been running nearly four weeks. The water is still very cloudy but seems to improve after each %40 water change I've done for the past three days. Ammonia levels are still Hugh but dropping. Should I continue with the daily water changes?

I really just would like to know how long this "cycle" is going to take. Its been an exhausting and expensive learning experience.
The time varies depending on your water chemistry. Most tanks cycle with fish around 6-8 weeks. Do not worry about cloudiness. It just means you have a lot of organic waste, so vacuum the substrate with every water change.

You should be dosing with ammo-lock everyday to keep the fish safe from ammonia poisoning. When API reads 0.5ppm or ammonia or nitrite, do a 50%-75% water change. Seachem ammonia alert will tell you how much of your ammonia is toxic.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I agreed with the above, just hang in there and continue with the water changes, this is the hardest part, more so for you as you started with heavy stocking....I feel you pain, we have all been there. Unfortunately I never followed anyone’s advise and slacked on my water changes and lost quite a few fish....(not in recent years, but many years ago)

You’ve got this!!

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
Thank you for your help. This morning I did a %40 water change. I have no plans at the moment and was wondering if it would be beneficial to the situation to do a larger %70 water change today.. What do you guys think?

And about the ammonia lock.. I've been using the product along with stability for two weeks now. Some other suggested I discontinue the ammonia lock.

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
Update: I just did a %70 water change, cleaned through filter media in aquarium water to remove debris that was beginning to clog, added ammonia lock and stability. Think I should give the aquarium a break for a couple of days or continue with daily water changes? I tested the ammonia and it was still off the chart before the water change, now I'm waiting on the aquarium to settle and test it again later on today.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I would never say no if someone wanted to do a water change.

I would stop using ammonia lock and stability, as long as your using prime as the water conditioner.

One thing I just thought of, have you tested the ammonia level in your tap water? Some people have high ammonia readings from the tap

Anthony Fata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2018
Pompano Beach
I would never say no if someone wanted to do a water change.

I would stop using ammonia lock and stability, as long as your using prime as the water conditioner.

One thing I just thought of, have you tested the ammonia level in your tap water? Some people have high ammonia readings from the tap
I tested the tap, no ammonia.

Since several of you have suggested I stop using ammonia lock and stability I think I'll try going without it. I've been adding it for around two weeks already. Fingers crossed everything works out soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store