New Tank Syndrome???

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
I just started a 75 gallon at my new house and put de chlorinator in it, declouder ( because I thought the sand was kicked up), and the api stuff so you don’t have to wait 6 weeks for the cycle. Put my fish in last night checked it this morning they are all dead... what did I do wrong, when can I put fish in it again? sTill cloudy btw

3898D327-4E74-4ADF-8408-D6C9F3149EC6.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just started a 75 gallon at my new house and put de chlorinator in it, declouder ( because I thought the sand was kicked up), and the api stuff so you don’t have to wait 6 weeks for the cycle. Put my fish in last night checked it this morning they are all dead... what did I do wrong, when can I put fish in it again? sTill cloudy btw

View attachment 1339655

What is the name of the API product you used?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Patience and perseverance with a smattering of persistence.

If you do a live cycle my suggestion is zebra danios for a month before adding anything else

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Quick start is not a dechlorinator, that is to speed up the cycling process. I ask because even in an uncycled tank, your fish should have lived through the night. Ammonia should not have reached a high enough ppm to kill all the fish unless you put like an adult salmon in the tank or something.
This leads me to believe something about your water killed the fish. Most likely scenario is you didn't remove the chlorine; unless you put another dechlorinator in (other than quick start) this is what killed the fish.

Reactions: PGJE

Glenn238

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I'll have to agree with gourami swami on this one also try and go to your lfs and ask for one of the tank filters or an established sponge filter or something of that nature so you can squeeze it out in your tank and jump start the cycle unless you have another tank on hand

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
I'll have to agree with gourami swami on this one also try and go to your lfs and ask for one of the tank filters or an established sponge filter or something of that nature so you can squeeze it out in your tank and jump start the cycle unless you have another tank on hand
I had the old filters from the 20 gallon

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Quick start is not a dechlorinator, that is to speed up the cycling process. I ask because even in an uncycled tank, your fish should have lived through the night. Ammonia should not have reached a high enough ppm to kill all the fish unless you put like an adult salmon in the tank or something.
This leads me to believe something about your water killed the fish. Most likely scenario is you didn't remove the chlorine; unless you put another dechlorinator in (other than quick start) this is what killed the fish.
I used a separate dechlorinator I just noticed that the water stinks way more than my other tank ever did

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store