Green Devils-Red Terrors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2019
Carolina
I've finally had time on break to have the 125 gallon set up!! :hearts:

Question, I have four BABIES in the tank as of yesterday. 2" Jaguar Cichlid, he's gorgeous gold. 2" Firemouth Cichlid. 1 1/2" Green Texas. 1" Salvini. My brother got to choose 2 fish for setting it up and he chose the Salvini, as he was told it would grow to be beautiful. Also, choose the Green Texas as he thought it was "cool". I already wanted the beautiful Jaguar and Firemouth (it looks likes Khaleesi's dragons when it gets angry! ). Long story short, will these fish be compatible, and if not which need to be returned?? Thanks to everyone in advance, for the consideration and insight!!!!!!!!!!!!! :).

P.s. Which fish would grow at a higher rate?

Miss WIlson

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Question, I have four BABIES in the tank as of yesterday. 2" Jaguar Cichlid, he's gorgeous gold. 2" Firemouth Cichlid. 1 1/2" Green Texas. 1" Salvini. My brother got to choose 2 fish for setting it up and he chose the Salvini, as he was told it would grow to be beautiful. Also, choose the Green Texas as he thought it was "cool". I already wanted the beautiful Jaguar and Firemouth (it looks likes Khaleesi's dragons when it gets angry! ). Long story short, will these fish be compatible, and if not which need to be returned?? Thanks to everyone in advance, for the consideration and insight!!!!!!!!!!!!! :).

Miss WIlson

Welcome Aboard

There is some variable's a few will be health of the individual fish, aquarium size, type of food. Appropriate water changes would also help.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I honest don’t think firemouth are suited for that tank long term. You picked some very aggressive fish.

Miss WIlson

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Both the jag and the salvini is some mean cichlids. Texas can be mean to. Then again i have seen firmouths stand its ground towards large angry cichlids. But in the long run three of four species will outgrow you tank esp the jag.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The Jag and Texan when adults will each need the tank to themselves, at best maybe a mate.
Now the Salvini don't get as big and neither do the Firemouth. The thing is tho that Firemouth like to be in groups of six or more.
I would go with the Salvini and Firemouth, but up the FM numbers or the Jag as a single or the Texan as a single. Yes it looks funny having a little tiny fish in a big tank by itself, but when it's the size of a dinner plate things will be a lot different. You can get some dithers like bigger bodied Tetras like Black Skirts, or Bleeding Hearts, or bigger barbs, giant Danios to help fill the tank if you go single fish route, just expect the dithers to be dinner at some point, or move to another tank when predation starts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store