new to arowana keeping

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I have my silver in a 500g community tank with a clown knife, tinfoils, flag tail, leporinus, oscars etc, no problems at all.

Reactions: bigarofan91

bigarofan91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2016
I have my silver in a 500g community tank with a clown knife, tinfoils, flag tail, leporinus, oscars etc, no problems at all.
My father in law recommended Oscars aswell but when the arowana's is around 9 inches.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I got my aro at around 8", the knife was around 6", all the other fish I bought as juvies, 2" or larger, they grew up in the tank together. My silver is now24/25", the knife 22", the oscars 8/9", tinfoils 10". I've had no issues at all (touch wood)

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
If you want him to be with tankmates, I suggest you introduce him to other fish (big and quick growing enough not to become a meal) soon. Fish like silver dollars are good dithers to help him not turn into a killer and learn to tolerate others. They all have their own personalities and while one may be calm another may be insane. Silver aro's are one of the most docile aro's but it is not unheard of them to not tolerate tankmates or snap and kill tankmates. I would introduce tankmates soon and be quick to get him off of any live foods if you are feeding live (live foods increase aggression and can harbor diseases and parasites) and onto pellets and/or frozen. Just like with any fish be religious with water changes and maintenance and he will be an awesome wet pet. Your silver aro looks very nice btw. Grats and welcome to MFK!
Ya great recommendation with the silver dollars
I think a nice bottom feeder will look great too so try to pick mild fish when dealing with an arowana because they are very sensitive when young
Pellet feeding is very important as a staple diet when young
I personally like a mild cichlid wth mine but that's risky and hit or miss so I wouldn't recommend it just my opinion sorry
Parrot fish are nice too my arowana is with a parrot cichlid the deformed mouth leads to no nipping and they can be quite beautiful they grow big too so no risk of being eaten
Good luck I'd like updates

image.png

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
My father in law recommended Oscars aswell but when the arowana's is around 9 inches.
I don't recommend oscars although they aren't super tough they can be mean and I'd wait till the arowana is around a foot before introducing tough cichlids

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I got my aro at around 8", the knife was around 6", all the other fish I bought as juvies, 2" or larger, they grew up in the tank together. My silver is now24/25", the knife 22", the oscars 8/9", tinfoils 10". I've had no issues at all (touch wood)
That's awesome group of fish
Hope my arowana gets that big rn it's around 20" with a 7" Jack Dempsey 6" Blood parrot and 5 angel fish varying sizes from 4"-6" knock on wood it's work it's been a year now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store