New to me 240 up and running

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
If those pumps don't have venturi you can always drill a hole in the output and insert a hose to the air where it can pull air in to the water to oxygenate it. I don't remember is that a traditional overflow set up or a "suction" one? if the later ( for some reason my brain is failing me this morning) you may want to add air. If its a traditional the water gets a lot of added oxygen from the overflow and should be good but added o2 couldn't hurt.
The its a peninsula overflow. The water flows over a weir and drops about 2 inches then is taken into the sump by a bean animal style overflow.

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
The water is in constant circulation and the surface in the K1 chamber has constant movement.

Oxygenation occurs most by way of surface disturbance. Adding a small air pump wont provide much more oxygenation, especially if the water is already saturated (or close to it).

I believe the combination of surface disturbance in the main tank from water circulation, plus the water falling over the overflow, plus the circulation in the K1 chamber has the water well oxygenated.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Nice setup you have going there. I am switching over my 180 gallon from 2 SunSun canisters (constant leaking issues) to a sump. I picked up a brand new 55 gallon aqueon tank at petsmart 50% off sale a couple weeks back and I went the exact same route with two Jebao DCP 10000 return pumps, figuring I'd just run them both at the lowest setting, and if one dies, I can crank the other up to compensate. Just curious, did you use 1" return piping/tubes?

Great looking Dovii

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
Nice setup you have going there. I am switching over my 180 gallon from 2 SunSun canisters (constant leaking issues) to a sump. I picked up a brand new 55 gallon aqueon tank at petsmart 50% off sale a couple weeks back and I went the exact same route with two Jebao DCP 10000 return pumps, figuring I'd just run them both at the lowest setting, and if one dies, I can crank the other up to compensate. Just curious, did you use 1" return piping/tubes?

Great looking Dovii
Thanks. I used 1 inch drain lines and 3/4 returns.

The biggest issue I had with the sump setup was constant clogging of my mechanical filtration. I solved it by completely forgoing mechanical in the sump but using an FX4 canister. It has mostly filter pads with one tray of ceramic rings. While the canister certainly provides some biological filtration, its purpose for me is mechanical. It has not leaked and as far as I know, they are not prone to leak. The water was cloudy while the filters established but it is clearing nicely now. Looks like this setup is going to work for me.

As for the jebao pumps. They are running strong and its really easy to adjust them to achieve desired water flow. Like you, I wanted redundancy. If one fails, the other could be cranked up and easily make up the missing flow until amazon sends me another. .

Reactions: SLAYER6669
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store