New to MFK, Help with Identification

Powers Ave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
I ordered this guy through the LFS I work at as a "Red Texas Cichlid." Okay so it's either an unfaded RT or a Green Texas, but I can't seem to lock down a specific breed. I'm up to any and all suggestions. The first picture was the day I got him on August 4th, and the last picture was taken within the last three weeks. He's in a 55 gallon with a pictus, and lace catfish. He's about five inches at the moment. I'm super excited to see the final product, I'm just interested in specific breeds or crossbreeds.

New to the site, really digging it. Thanks ya'll.

image2 (1).JPG

image1 (1).JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm with Frank. Carpintis crossed with something I think....what I don't know, but I think it's crossed with something. The body shape is not pure Carpintis. The pattern of the black and blue (called worming) is not typical Carpintis.

Now, what is a "red texas" supposed to be? I don't know much at all about Flowerhorns. I've heard "red texas" often aren't really red, and that they're some kinda hybrid. Does it have to be a hybrid of the same 2 species every time to be called a "red texas"?

Reactions: Frank Castle

Powers Ave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
Thanks for the quick response!
So a Cyannoguttatum is a Texas Cichlid
and a Carpintis is a Green Texas?
So oddball Texas hybrid?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
for sure has some carpintis in it, it seems as if it has a flowerline making me think it has some fh in it

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
A carpintis is the species name for one fish. Cyanoguttatus is the species name for another fish. "Texas" and "Green Texas" are just slang terms some fish store owner came up with 50 years ago. "Red Texas" is just slang.

So don't use the slang terms--they just confuse every conversation they come into.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Red Texas cichlids don't always turn red. Because it's a hybrid there is some chance it won't turn red. But it could be cross with a Texas (carpintis or cyanoguttatus) with a flowerhorn or Midas/red devil or something. Call it whatever you want lol. It's just as true as the next guess.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
And then the final quality is dictated by the amount of line breeding for the delay desired traits...
A nice one demands big money, if you paid a lot i would expect it to be red already, most peel at 2-3 inch, quite unlikely for it too peel red now.
Still a great looking fish tho.

Reactions: Powers Ave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store