New To Plants, Let M Know What You Think.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Looking really great. I'm guessing you mean the yeast kind of reactor. I made a CO2 reactor with yeast before but didn't use it long enough to see if it helped much. I think you are supposed to not use them at night. I just took mine out at night and put it in a glass of water so I could be sure it was still bubbling.

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Looking really great. I'm guessing you mean the yeast kind of reactor. I made a CO2 reactor with yeast before but didn't use it long enough to see if it helped much. I think you are supposed to not use them at night. I just took mine out at night and put it in a glass of water so I could be sure it was still bubbling.
Yeah I'm using the yeast thing. I'm low on funds so gott do with what I can. I've never heard about taking it out at night. As of right now I keep the co2 flowing all the time, with lights on for 12 hours. It's made a lot of my plants flourish green. Not sure how they would react to no co2 at night. But I might give that a try. :)

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Yeah I'm using the yeast thing. I'm low on funds so gott do with what I can. I've never heard about taking it out at night. As of right now I keep the co2 flowing all the time, with lights on for 12 hours. It's made a lot of my plants flourish green. Not sure how they would react to no co2 at night. But I might give that a try. :)
Glad to hear it is helping. Well I could be wrong. I'm not that experienced with plants. Unless someone more experienced than me says otherwise, you probably should stick with what your doing since it is working :) . I might make a yeast setup again since I can't afford the fancy co2 systems either.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Some people turn theirs off, and some people like myself never turn off their Co2... the reasoning behind the former is because they think that they may suffocate their fish if their Co2 levels get too high i believe...

Me personally, i run about 3 BPS on a pressurized Co2 system and leave it running 24/7 in my high tech tank, in my low tech with fish, i used to run it at about 2 BPS on a pressurized Co2 system 24/7 and never saw any ill effects with my fish... so i guess it really comes down to personal experience and watching how your fish react....

My main guess for people having problems with running Co2 24/7 and having fish is probably caused by the fact their water surface tension doesn't get broken, trapping more Co2 in the water causing the Co2 levels to rise to a dangerous level for fish...

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Some people turn theirs off, and some people like myself never turn off their Co2... the reasoning behind the former is because they think that they may suffocate their fish if their Co2 levels get too high i believe...

Me personally, i run about 3 BPS on a pressurized Co2 system and leave it running 24/7 in my high tech tank, in my low tech with fish, i used to run it at about 2 BPS on a pressurized Co2 system 24/7 and never saw any ill effects with my fish... so i guess it really comes down to personal experience and watching how your fish react....

My main guess for people having problems with running Co2 24/7 and having fish is probably caused by the fact their water surface tension doesn't get broken, trapping more Co2 in the water causing the Co2 levels to rise to a dangerous level for fish...
How about having an air pump too? Would that balance it out with the Co2?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ normally speaking, if you run Co2 you wont run an air pump at the same time, otherwise you tend to gas off the Co2...

However, those who do turn off their Co2 during the night / at lights out sometimes like to run an air stone to replenish the dissolved oxygen in their tanks...

So imo, it seems to down to personal preference and how you run the tank...

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
you might want to replant the hairgrass behind ?

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
you might want to replant the hairgrass behind ?
Yeah I know it gets pretty long, I'm thinking of keeping it short. I'm getting a few Jungle Val stems for free, running out of space in the tank. I think I want the val more towards the back instead of the hair grass. Any tips on trimming it? How short can it be?

IMG_0717.JPG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ just by judging the photos alone, i would say you should be able to chop half the plant height and it still be fine for the hair grass...

Reactions: DaFroggy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store