New To Plants, Let M Know What You Think.

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Joey (the King of DIY on youtube) i think has some cheap options for LED, but cant remember if he did one for plants...

Otherwise, maybe try ebay for some cheaper options as far as aquarium lighting???
How is this? Do you think these would work? I would be running two of them over my 10 gallon.

IMG_0734.PNG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
I cant guarantee it, but seems like these might work...
Yeah I have a good feeling. They match what you said about 6500k. Hopefully they'll work. Some reviews say that people use them for indoor plants, pretty sure they'll work for aquarium plants too. I'll update when I get them. :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For terrestial plants its easier coz light doesnt need to penetrate the water, but since you are using it on a 10G should be okay ;)

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Can it carpet? I'm not sure what kind of hair grass it is. The place I got it from only had it labeled "hairgrass".
probably E. vivipara

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I know it gets pretty long, I'm thinking of keeping it short. I'm getting a few Jungle Val stems for free, running out of space in the tank. I think I want the val more towards the back instead of the hair grass. Any tips on trimming it? How short can it be?

View attachment 1234232
Ive had a lot of luck with the Jungle Val. Had some planted in my 60g that flowed right up to and over the top, creating nice shade and a great look. Depending on how it looks when you first get it, you might want to trim the tips off before planting. It will take a while but it will fill in and is a great background plant. I like your layout and especially the anubias nana petite!

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
probably E. vivipara
So what's the best presentation of it? Or how can I use it in my tank?
Ive had a lot of luck with the Jungle Val. Had some planted in my 60g that flowed right up to and over the top, creating nice shade and a great look. Depending on how it looks when you first get it, you might want to trim the tips off before planting. It will take a while but it will fill in and is a great background plant. I like your layout and especially the anubias nana petite!
Thanks! I'm hoping to have it grow over the top for my betta! :)

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
For terrestial plants its easier coz light doesnt need to penetrate the water, but since you are using it on a 10G should be okay ;)
UPDATE. The free Jungle Val guy plugged me with some Crypts.

IMG_0784.JPG

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Plants are growing out nicely but that pot just throws everything off for me. No offense intended. If you're trying to contain the roots, try a tupperware filled right up to the substrate level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store