New to Rope Fish - help on set up

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Owned both 12-14" sysnpillum and pearsei. They're the same size in size and girth. Not a myth. It's true about the nitrate fart.
Do you think one of them would work for her in a 180 or 220?

Any recommendations on which species? Are their personalities similar?

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
i have an emergency! sorry i haven't been on lately, started working 2 part time jobs working 50 hours a week and my dog is needing quality time. i got a few ghost shrimp to help with detritus clean up from the pleco as it was destroying my tank and i added in a second filter to double up on the filtration as well. tank is clear again.

anyway. the emergency... i live in the tropics of florida and it was below 70 all day, and supposed to be down in the high 40's tonight (yes, this is extremely cold for us! lol) the heat isn't working, hasn't all day and it won't get looked at until 8am tomorrow morning. i got home from work and checked the temp on my tank and it is now super close to hitting 70. i have never had my tanks get that cold so i'm freaking out because of my beloved Beamer (rope). I know she needs the higher temps and according to my friend i live with, beamer hasn't really been out to play today like she usually does. i know the ghost shrimp (i call them the hungry hippos) can handle down to 68 degrees and the corys are fairly tolerant fish. so, because of where i live, i have not had a need for a heater in the tank as my house temp stays at 79 year round. i can't buy a heater for 3 weeks :( so... can i do a partial water change with a warmer water added? if so, how warm should the new water be and how much of the tank should i change out? can i wrap my heating pad around the front of the tank (leaving the light on tonight for them so it will block their light so i can sleep) with a towel and tape it down and then wrap with a fleece blanket?

magpie magpie J jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Those ghost Shrimp won't last long haha, good advice guys! Glad it's working for you bottomdweller72 bottomdweller72 :)

Over here it's so warm that I'm hitting 79-80 unheated :eek:

Reactions: bottomdweller72

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Happy you worked things out, sorry I haven't been on much lately as we just mived.

Can you order a heater on amazon?

Yes, it is likely the ghost shrimp will become food... :/

Reactions: bottomdweller72

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
Those ghost Shrimp won't last long haha, good advice guys! Glad it's working for you bottomdweller72 bottomdweller72 :)

Over here it's so warm that I'm hitting 79-80 unheated :eek:
Lol I'm actually surprised they are all there still to be honest. Beamer is a happy girl though, might be why? She swims right by them, but pays no mind to them. They all sleep on top of her stump so I can head count every morning lol

Woke up to a tank at 76 and it's 65 in the house, worked like a charm!

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
Happy you worked things out, sorry I haven't been on much lately as we just mived.

Can you order a heater on amazon?

Yes, it is likely the ghost shrimp will become food... :/
Oh that's right, how was the move?

Ya I thought about that last night. I'll look on Amazon this morning.

I knew there is a risk with the shrimp but so far all is well. I figured out beamers eating habit and keep her happy now. I still have the one tetra in the tank too. Beamer has gotten very active and playful. She still won't take tilapia from my hand but she comes out now for it, she will boop my hand then put her nose to the gravel, I drop it, she eats it lol not sure who trained who on that one lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store