New to small fish and need suggestions

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I'm going set up a new tank and wanted some suggestions. I'm either doing a 20 gal or a 40 B. I'm going to make it a planted tank and am going to add 25 red cherry shrimp & don't know what type of fish to get. The reason behind the tank is to grow plants to add into my large tanks as well as have the shrimp breed for food and wanted the fish to do the same. I've never really kept smaller fish. I was thinking maybe some fancy guppies or killie's. Really just want something that's hardy, readily breeds and won't eat the shrimp.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm going set up a new tank and wanted some suggestions. I'm either doing a 20 gal or a 40 B. I'm going to make it a planted tank and am going to add 25 red cherry shrimp & don't know what type of fish to get. The reason behind the tank is to grow plants to add into my large tanks as well as have the shrimp breed for food and wanted the fish to do the same. I've never really kept smaller fish. I was thinking maybe some fancy guppies or killie's. Really just want something that's hardy, readily breeds and won't eat the shrimp.

Group of Fancy Guppies would be fine 1m/3f ratio.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Just start with one male and three females. The tank will be way overstocked within a year. When I had a ten gallon guppy tank I started with one male and two females. My tank had well over a hundred guppies at one point and I never bought any more of them...
The population will be controlled. I'll be feeding my larger fish

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I've got quite the guppy colony going in my 20 long. I haven't taken them out to count them yet but there's at least 15 adults and 893902320382093 fry. Like travis said I also had 50 or so in a 10 gallon in a few months. :p

Hehe. Overstocking is cool if you maintain the water. My plants are growing like nuts with minimal fertilization and no co2. I typically do 2 50% changes a week with basic api water conditioner and vacuum when it's needed, no ill effects. I'm mainly just waiting for the little turds to grow faster so they can be cichlid snacks. The tank is ghetto.

Here is a somewhat recent picture. The only casualties in this tank so far were 4 guppies from petco and 2 from the lfs that were in a feeder tank when I restarted the tank after I settled into my apartment. (Bad genes I think.) The rest were from a guy on craigslist which seem quite strong. All the plants are babies from my 90. They actually grow better in here for some reason, but slower.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
No matter what fish you put in there (ottos included), they will eat the small / baby shrimp... if you are looking at generating feeders then stick with fast breeding fish...

Shrimp while they breed fairly quickly, will need a very comfortable habitat to do so, and may not last long as feeders depending how many you go through...

Reactions: magpie and Hendre

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Platies are colorful, hardy, and peaceful live bearers. I've been thinking about setting up a 40B planted and breeding platies for feeders. (no thiaminase). They wont bother your shrimp. Good filtration and frequent water changes are a must as they produce a lot of waste.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
No matter what fish you put in there (ottos included), they will eat the small / baby shrimp... if you are looking at generating feeders then stick with fast breeding fish...

Shrimp while they breed fairly quickly, will need a very comfortable habitat to do so, and may not last long as feeders depending how many you go through...

Okay I might just put them in their own tank then. While the main reason is to produce food I also wanted a nice little comm tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store