Newbie to Oscars

OwenP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
Hey guy, im a fairly new fish keeper. I recently lost my chocolate cichlid and have decided to pick up a tiger oscar. Hes only abount an inch and a half currently. I was thinking of doing a black water setup for him.

Has anyone tried this and have some tips youd be willing to share? Also i have a 8 inch long rope fish and a juvie senegal bichir would they be ok with the oscar?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guy, im a fairly new fish keeper. I recently lost my chocolate cichlid and have decided to pick up a tiger oscar. Hes only abount an inch and a half currently. I was thinking of doing a black water setup for him.

Has anyone tried this and have some tips youd be willing to share? Also i have a 8 inch long rope fish and a juvie senegal bichir would they be ok with the oscar?

Welcome aboard

Oscars will be challenging to maintain. Have you done any research on Oscar's?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Lol. Challenging and fun. At about 4" he will think your ropefish looks like a nice worm to chew on. At about 6" you may not see the rope fish anymore... sometimes when a baby Oscar like that has a really good meal, full belly, the next day it's slightly bigger than the day before. No lie, you can almost see them grow daily.

They love crickets and worms and other fish, basically anything that moves, and some things that don't. Make sure you mix up its diet, lots of nutritious pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp, krill etc. They are very prone to hih disease and ich. I would advise against feeding live unless you are quarantine and gut loading.

Jexnell Jexnell can chime in some more, maybe check out the thread on Toni.

OwenP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
Lol. Challenging and fun. At about 4" he will think your ropefish looks like a nice worm to chew on. At about 6" you may not see the rope fish anymore... sometimes when a baby Oscar like that has a really good meal, full belly, the next day it's slightly bigger than the day before. No lie, you can almost see them grow daily.

They love crickets and worms and other fish, basically anything that moves, and some things that don't. Make sure you mix up its diet, lots of nutritious pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp, krill etc. They are very prone to hih disease and ich. I would advise against feeding live unless you are quarantine and gut loading.

Jexnell Jexnell can chime in some more, maybe check out the thread on Toni.
I was told that talapia is a great susbstitute for feeders.

Reactions: tlindsey

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
But I think oscars are actually more insectivores rather than true piscivores so crickets (gutloaded) and mealworms may even be better yet. But tilapia would be a great snack.

I wouldn't recommend this but I have tried a piece of cooked chicken, and steak. It's like when people say dogs shouldn't eat people food. Lol. It was pretty greasy and left a film on the top of my tank even with such a small piece. So I don't think I would do that again.

OwenP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
But I think oscars are actually more insectivores rather than true piscivores so crickets (gutloaded) and mealworms may even be better yet. But tilapia would be a great snack.

I wouldn't recommend this but I have tried a piece of cooked chicken, and steak. It's like when people say dogs shouldn't eat people food. Lol. It was pretty greasy and left a film on the top of my tank even with such a small piece. So I don't think I would do that again.

I give him small mealworms on occasion

Reactions: Matteus

OwenP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018

This is a really dumb question im sure, but what do you mean by "gut loaded" ?

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store